Iowa State announces new dean of students

Vernon Hurte was named the new dean of students in early January. 

Courtesy of Iowa State University Relations

Emily Hammer

After weeks of deliberation, Vernon Hurte has been named dean of students and associate vice president of student affairs, a statement announced Thursday.

Hurte, who previously served as the assistant to the vice president, senior associate dean of students, and director of the Center for Student Diversity at the College of William & Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia, will assume his new role in early July.

Hurte received his doctorate in education from the University of Tennessee and has structured most of his role in education administration around student diversity.

Previously, as the director of the Center for Student Diversity at William and Mary, Hurte worked to provide programs and initiatives for undergraduate, graduate and professional students, according to the release.

At Iowa State, Hurte will report to the office of the senior vice president of student affairs. However, much of his work will take place through the dean of students office.

The units that he will be in charge of include:

• Academic Success Center
  • Greek Affairs
  • Hixson Awards
  • International Students and Scholars
  • Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Student Services
  • Margaret Sloss Women’s Center
  • Multicultural Student Affairs
  • National Student Exchange
  • Student Assistance and Outreach
  • Student Conduct
  • Student Disability Resources
  • Student Legal Services and Writing and Media Center

“I look forward to working with the dynamic team in the dean of students office and the division of student affairs, while also collaborating with partners across campus to offer programs and services that support the holistic success of all of our students,” Hurte said in a statement, “further enhancing a campus community where our students flourish, both within and beyond the classroom.”

Hurte was one of four finalists for the dean of students position, where in an interview with the Daily he described issues he views as in important in relation to his position as well as to the university.

“There’s two areas that would for sure be at the forefront for me, one of which revolves around campus climate,” he said. “The other area is around campus growth, as there has been significant growth over the last decade, which impacts the possibilities of programs and services.

“Iowa State has a strong reputation of providing strong and excellent student support, so we want to make sure we are positioned as the student office to continue to provide great support and resources.”