Top 10 letters, editorials and stories from 2016

The Iowa State Dance team preformed the dance to Justin Bieber’s song Sorry. The video was featured on Ellentube. 

David Perrin

Last year was a good time for the Iowa State Daily. Here are some of the most popular articles from 2016; included in these are letters, editorials and stories:

1. Iowa State’s dance team gets unexpected recognition from ‘Sorry’ remake

Members of the ISU dance team recreated Justin Bieber’s “Sorry” music video and reached over 50,000 Facebook views and almost 40,000 views on YouTube.

The video was a combined effort among 14 of the dance team members and took several hours to record. Due to scheduling difficulties, the entire video was filmed in one day.

The original story can be found here.

2. UPDATED: Individual commits suicide near Hilton Coliseum

On Aug. 23, 2016, Iowa State police responded to a call from an individual who had called Ames Police stating that he was wanting to kill himself. According to scanner traffic, the individual said he had a rifle.

When police arrived on the scene, the individual was found dead in his vehicle near Hilton Coliseum.

The entire, updated story can be found here.

3. Bernie Sanders tells voters in Ames that campaign is not a popularity contest

People poured into the Scheman Building at the Iowa State Center in Ames on Nov. 5, 2016, to watch Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders speak about the 2016 presidential election.

During his speech, which was one of many on his campaign for presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, Sanders discussed the lack of focus on the policy differences between Clinton and Donald Trump.

The Iowa State Daily speech coverage can be found here.

4. Iowa State Police investigating white heritage posters found on campus

According to an email from Iowa State administrators, about 20 posters were found on campus on Oct. 27, 2016. The signs included messages such as “white students you are not alone be proud of your heritage,” and “In 1950 America was 90 percent white, it is now only 60 percent white. Will you become a minority in your own country?”

Though investigated by the Iowa State police, no suspects were found; however, similar posters were found a week prior on the University of Iowa campus.

The story on white heritage posters is linked here.

5. Student Government passes resolution against BYU joining Big 12

During a weekly Wednesday night Student Government meeting, Sen. Abhijit Patwa introduced a resolution regarding BYU joining the Big 12. Patwa argued that BYU’s discriminatory policies and practices did not fit the values of the Big 12, and because of that, they should not be allowed to join.

After a heated debate regarding the subject among senators, the resolution passed with 21 votes for and six against.

Also addressed at the meeting was the passing of a bill that will eliminate the monthly allocation process for funding.

The story can be found here.

6. Editorial: Big 12 expansion should leave BYU behind

Earlier in 2016, BYU, a private, religious institution operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, formally requested to join the Big 12 Conference. This presented the conference with an ethical dilemma that it had not yet faced before.

The BYU honor code states, in part, that homosexual behavior violates the honor code of the university. Although the Big 12 is home to universities that have had similar problems with their honor codes, they have all been amended to keep the integrity and inclusiveness of the Big 12 intact.

The story is linked here.

7. Letter: Iowa State is too politically correct

ISU Dining Systems Support Specialist Charles Braun wrote a letter regarding the nature of Iowa State University on fronts of diversity, discrimination and sustainability. 

Braun wrote of the university in a seemingly negative light, arguing that the use of “free condom” buckets is annoying, and that those who question sexual diversity are labeled as bigots, whether they like it or not. He stated that students suffer because of this type of political incorrectness, and that the university won’t “regain the stellar reputation it had” until “students are willing to speak out and not blindly follow indoctrination.”

The letter is found here.

8. Milo Yiannopoulos event at Iowa State canceled

ISU Students 4 Trump announced on Dec. 5, 2016, that the Milo Yiannopoulos event scheduled for Dec. 9, 2016,  had been cancelled. The unofficial student organization claimed that the event had to be cancelled due to hiked security fees, which were an attempt by the university to stop the event.

Yiannopoulos is a British journalist, entrepreneur, public speaker and technology editor for Breitbart News. In reply to the cancellation, Yiannopoulos released a statement saying, “All President Leath is accomplishing with this fee is giving his college a reputation for slippery censorship tactics.”

Though the university made an offer to reschedule the event, no date was set.

The story can be found here.

9. Editorial: He kept driving

After the hit-and-run death of Iowa State student Emmalee Jacobs, President Steven Leath issued an email to all university students explaining that the situation was under investigation by the police.

The bus driver responsible for the incident was arrested a month later, and after changing his plea from “not guilty” to “guilty,” CyRide driver Benjamin Clague was sentenced to serve 30 days in jail and pay a $100 fine.

The editorial is ended by describing the inperfections of the U.S. criminal justice system, stating that, “When a life is taken, someone must take responsibility.”

“He kept driving” can be read by clicking here.

10. King: People are right to not trust Hillary Clinton

This opinion story was written in regard to Hillary Clinton being the most likely candidate to be the Democratic nominee for the 2016 presidential elections. Scott King wrote, “In my opinion, Americans have a good reason not to trust Clinton as she consistently contradicts herself and sometimes outright lies.”

The remainder of the story outlines situations in which Clinton is untrustworthy, including the 30,000 deleted emails and the claim that she landed under sniper fire in Bosnia, which was later disproven. 

The story can be read in its entirety here.