Iowa State beats UC-Santa Barbara; Gets rained out against Utah Valley

Freshman right-handed pitcher Savannah Sanders pitches to the IUPUI softball team on Feb. 12.

Curran Mclaughlin

The Iowa State Softball team got a little wet Friday as it was rained out of its second game in of the Lousiville Slugger Invitational in Long Beach, California.

Iowa State defeated UC-Santa Babra (3-10, 0-0 Big West) 2-0 to begin the day. The Cyclones then found themselves trailing Utah Valley (4-19, 0-0 Western Athletic) 5-1 in the bottom of the fourth inning when the game was stopped by a rain delay. The game was decided as a no contest.

Utah Valley gained a 4-0 lead in the third inning. The Cyclones were then about to attempt a comeback before the game was called. Iowa State had scored off of a wild pitch to get to 5-1 and had the bases loaded with just one out when the conditions became too much to play in.

Freshman Pitcher Savannah Sanders performance on the mound was enough to keep Iowa State above water in its 2-0 victory over UC-Santa Barbara.

Sanders, who pitched all game, pitched her second shutout of the year gained her fifth win today. The freshman only gave up four runs and struckout two batter which helped Iowa State maintain its narrow lead.

Iowa State will continue play at 3 p.m. on Saturday.