ISU freshman hurler offers rare versatility

Freshman pitcher, Emma Hylen, pitches for Iowa State on Sep. 21.

Sean Sears

It takes a certain type of player to come into a game late, with everything on the line, and perform. It takes a willingness to embrace the fear and adrenaline of potentially losing, and use it as ammunition in the pitching circle.

Usually that job of starting and finishing games requires two different people, but try telling that to ISU pitcher Emma Hylen.

The freshman standout has been Iowa State’s Swiss army knife in the circle this season. With her unique ability to effectively start or close games for the Cyclones, she has easily been the coaching staff’s go-to pitcher in 2016.

Hylen, who stands at 6 feet 3 inches, leads the team in appearances with 18. Six of those appearances were starts, which is good for second on the team.

ISU coach Stacy Gemeinhardt-Cesler has used Hylen every way she could this season, pointing out how composed her hard-throwing right-hander has been this season.

“I think the big thing is she doesn’t seem fazed by what’s going on around her, and I think that makes a huge difference when you are a pitcher,” Gemeinhardt-Cesler said.

Hylen seamlessly being able to switch from the role of bona fide starter to lockdown closer is unlikely in NCAA softball. To collect herself like she does in the circle is an innate behavior, but she also understands what her role on this team is.

“I understand [Gemeinhardt-Cesler] can trust me in whatever kind of situation she needs me to perform,” Hylen said. “Her and [assistant coach Brittany Weil-Miller] talk a lot, and it feels good I can help the team out in many ways.”

Hylen doesn’t change much with her approach, whether she is getting the nod to start the game or receiving the call from the bullpen. With her big frame, Hylen can throw faster and harder than most of the pitchers on the ISU pitching staff.

Combine that with her precise ball placement, Hylen is proving to be one of the toughest pitchers to hit in college softball.

Currently boasting a 1.58 ERA with opposing batters hitting .199 against her, she has only allowed 12 earned runs in her 53 total innings this season. Those numbers put her second overall in pitching efficiency in the Big 12.

Hylen only has 33 strikeouts on the season, which can be concerning since most closers dominate by not allowing teams to touch the ball. But Hylen relies on keeping the ball low while throwing near the mid-70s to induce ground balls and not allow opposing teams to drive the ball.

Hylen knows she cannot always throw the ball low and away. The competition is strong enough to adjust at this level, so the freshman isn’t afraid to mix it up as well.

“I think toward the end of the game, I just like to keep a good mix, whether that be up and down or in and out,” Hylen said. “Just not one consistent pitch because if you throw the same thing it gets easier to hit. But making sure I can mix at least one direction each way. “

When Hylen is asked about her individual performances this season she, like the rest of this pitching staff, deflected the blame to her pitching coach.

“[Weil-Miller] really makes sure we’re working together as a team, as pitchers, not individuals,” Hylen said. “We’re coming together and it’s been really fun.”