Drag Show brings new prospective to a fraternity

Jordan Zugmaier/Iowa State Daily

Sophie Sapphire performs during the LGBTAA Drag Show. The 2015 Drag Show hosted 11 performers on Saturday in the Great Hall. 

Jack Garcia

The Delta Lambda Phi Drag Show will hit Iowa State on Saturday night.

The fraternity has been at Iowa State since 2006 but will do a new philanthropy this year.

“One of the things that we pride ourselves on is being inclusive,” said Blake Wilson, sophomore in communications and event organizer. “I think this will help promote our cause.”

The drag show will take place at 9 p.m. Saturday in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union. It will feature brothers of Delta Lambda Phi as the performers.

“I thinks its going to be fun,” Wilson said. “It’s something that most people aren’t used to seeing their fellow greek members do.”

The Delta Lambda Phi ISU homepage describes its fraternity as an “inclusive and diverse environment” and is open to people of all sexual orientations.

“Our organization was founded for the purpose of being a more inclusive greek organization,” said Tyler McKnight, junior in advertising and chapter president. “For us, it is important for our members to believe in diversity and inclusion, as well as excellence academically.”

The admission fee for the event is $5, but a donation to Youth and Shelter Services (YSS) will drop the price to $3. Besides the donations for YSS, the event is designed to help raise money for member dues, which will come from the admission cost.

Although raising money is important, an equally important goal for the fraternity was to raise awareness.

“It is another way for us to get our name out there for the student body to get to know us a little better and also to possibly attract new members,” McKnight said.

That idea of inclusion was a major motivation for making this philanthropy a drag show. Wilson, who is also the LGBT Ally Alliance club vice president, has helped organize successful drag shows in the past at Iowa State.

Those who identify as trans don’t see a lot of support on campus, and this can be a way to extend support to them, Wilson said.

“It’s going to be promoting fun and having a good time and focusing on the cause; that we’re all here, and we’re all students,” Wilson said.