Iowa State to host Ames Town and Gown concert

William David and Roberta Alexander performed together at the University of Michigan and will perform Saturday night in Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall. 

Paiten Gavin

Iowa State will host the third of a series of five Ames Town and Gown concerts at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall. 

The concert will feature Roberta Alexander, star of the Metropolitan Opera and European stages, and pianist William David, retired Iowa State professor of piano and member of the Ames Piano Quartet. 

Admission for the event is free for ISU students (with an ISU ID). Non-student admission tickets are $25 and available for purchase online via the Ames Town and Gown website or at the door. The event will last for approximately 90 minutes. 

Alexander will be providing a master class from 2:10-3 p.m. Thursday as a complement to Saturday’s show. 

The All-American vocal program will include music from Bernstein, Ives, Barber, Copeland, Hegeman, and Gershwin.

The Ames Town and Gown Chamber Music Association puts on five classical concerts per year, bringing internationally renowned artists to perform in one of two locations in Ames including Iowa State’s Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall or the Ames City Auditorium.

Past shows have drawn crowds of about 200-250 people. They also host an annual musicale gala fundraising event starring revered local musicians.  

Alexander is an American soprano vocalist. She and David studied at the University of Michigan together.

Paula Forrest, Ames Town and Gown Chamber Association’s artistic director of 27 years, studied at the University of Michigan and recalls watching Alexander perform.

“I remember hearing Roberta Alexander sing and she was fantastic,” Forrest said.

According to Forrest, Alexander now lives abroad but David knew she would be performing at the Metropolitan Opera this spring and asked if she would like to perform with him at the Ames Town and Gown concert.

David was a professor of piano at Iowa State for 37 years and has been retired for just two years.

“William David is well known on campus, so the fact that he’s coming back to us is exciting,” Forrest said. 

Following the show, attendees are invited to meet and chat with the musicians.

For more information, visit the Ames Town and Gown website.