This week in news

Kathryn Leidahl, running mate of Amanda Loomis, talks about her campaign for vice president of GSB during the vice presidential debate in the Oak Room of the Memorial Union on Tuesday, Feb. 24.

Alex Hanson

Read this week’s news recap below, then test your knowledge in the news quiz here.

Flooding devastates the Carolinas

Described as a 1 in a 1,000-year event by the governor of South Carolina, massive flooding devastated North and South Carolina this week, causing thousands to evacuate.

At least 19 were killed as flooding forced thousands in both states out of their homes. Hundreds were rescued when floodwaters overtook their homes or as they tried to drive through flooded roadways.

More than a dozen dams failed, causing even more headaches for officials throughout the week.

The rain ended midweek, but water remained. Officials and residents have now begun cleaning up, which will continue into the weekend.

McCarthy drops out of speaker race

The number two Republican in the House, California’s Kevin McCarthy, currently the House majority leader, shocked his Republican colleagues in the House when he announced he would drop his bid for speaker of the House.

House Republicans were set to choose their nominee for speaker at a meeting Thursday morning, but McCarthy — short on the votes needed for speaker — said he would forgo his run to be speaker.

At least two other candidates — U.S. Reps. Jason Chafetz, R-Utah, and Daniel Webster, R-Fla. — are still running, but it’s unsure if the Republican leadership will choose another candidate to fill McCarthy’s spot.

U.S. Rep. Steve King, Republican in Iowa’s 4th District, which includes Ames, said he would support Webster for Speaker.

U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., was floated as a potential candidate, but reiterated to reporters at the Capitol on Thursday that he would not run. Politico reported Thursday that Ryan had cancelled upcoming fundraisers and fielded calls from current Republican leadership, including Speaker John Boehner.

The race for a new speaker comes after Boehner announced he would resign at the end of October.

Student Government hires sexual assault director

Student Government is hoping that a new executive cabinet position will help find solutions to the issue of sexual assault on campus.

Student Government President Dan Breitbarth and Vice President Megan Sweere have appointed Kathryn Leidahl to the position of director for sexual assault.

“This gives someone a complete, narrow focus look on this to make sure it’s done the right way,” Breitbarth said.

“It’s On Us” was a campaign to spread awareness on the issue created last year, and Leidahl will now oversee the campaign on campus this year.

She said she hopes to initially educate and make people more aware of the issue. This campaign will be more of an of an educational-type tool, she said.

“The entire project is now in my hands, which is a daunting task but a very exciting one,” Leidahl said.

Cubs headed to postseason

Chicago fans were in high spirits Wednesday night after the Cubs shut out the Pirates 4-0 in the NL Wild Card game in Pittsburgh, Pa.

Pitcher Jake Arrieta dominated, giving up only four hits and striking out 11 during nine innings pitched.

They are now headed to face the St. Louis Cardinals, who won the N.L. Central division this year with more than 100 wins. ESPN noted on Twitter that the Cubs have faced the Cardinals 2,361 times since 1892, but never in the playoffs.

That matchup will happen for the first time Friday afternoon. The first pitch is scheduled for 5:45 p.m., and the game will be televised on TBS.

Mr. CALS

The Mr. CALS competition, a male beauty pageant featuring students from the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, kicked off CALS week at Iowa State on Monday.

The contestants were judged by five professors on a panel in three categories: their dream date, dress your major and lip-synching.

“We’ve had a great turnout each year, we had about the same attendance as we had in the past, but it’s always fun to see all of the guys and what they can bring,” said Megan Henry, junior in agriculture and life sciences education.