Mowrer to run again in 2016

Kelby Wingert/Iowa State Daily

Jim Mowrer talks with students at a voting rally on Oct. 14, 2014, at the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center on campus. Mowrer announced he’ll be challenging for Iowa’s Third Congressional District seat in Congress next year.

Alex Hanson

Jim Mowrer, an Iraq war veteran and Democrat, who ran unsuccessfully for Congress against Steve King in 2014, announced Monday he plans to run again in 2016, this time in Iowa’s Third Congressional District against first-term Republican David Young.

Mowrer’s campaign website says he is “running for Congress because he sees that politicians on both sides of the aisle aren’t doing anything to protect middle class Iowa families.”

Mowrer, 29, grew up in Boone and most recently served as vice chairman of the Iowa Democratic Party following his loss to King in last year’s midterm elections. He served in the Iowa National Guard from 2003 until 2009, including a deployment to Iraq in October of 2005. Mowrer also worked at the Pentagon from 2010 until 2013.

Young is in his first term in Congress after defeating former Iowa House Rep. Staci Appel by almost a 10 point margin in last year’s midterm election. Roll Call rates the third district as a “tossup,” meaning the race could go to either party. One other Democrat, Des Moines businessman Desmund Adams, has also announced his intention to run.