Businesses prepare for WelcomeFest

Ellen Bombela

WelcomeFest will take place on campus to welcome students to the community and to showcase different services, goods and employment opportunities that are available. The event, hosted by the Student Activities Center will be at the Memorial Union on Wednesday from 5:30 to 9 p.m. where students will have the chance to discover different opportunities available to them in the Ames community. 

“Students get a good scope of what’s available,” said George Micalone, director of student activities.

Students who attend can expect freebies and information about campus departments and Ames businesses, according to SAC, which is responsible for booking all booths for the event.

A lot of work is put into getting both past participants and potential new companies that students might be interested in — such as the Fighting Burrito — to attend.

“It is a great way to introduce ourselves to the students at Iowa State,” said Kay Mwanza, Fighting Burrito general manager.

Fighting Burrito not only advertises its menus, delivering and catering services, but it also informs students about employment opportunities. Mwanza said that picking up an application at WelcomeFest is important because it gives students face-to-face contact with their future coworkers and managers that they might not otherwise get if they came into the restaurant to get an application.

With around 5,000 students expected to attend, students are encouraged to come early to the event.