Four icons, one legend: ‘Million Dollar Quartet’ to premiere at Stephens Auditorium

Million Dollar Quartet premieres in Ames at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Apr. 12 at C.Y. Stephens Auditorium.

Melissa Garrett

In the true story about four of the most legendary musicians of all time, “Million Dollar Quartet” premieres in Ames at 7:30 p.m. April 12 at Stephens Auditorium.

“Million Dollar Quartet” takes place on Dec. 4, 1956, when a plot twist brought Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins together for one of the most epic rock ‘n’ roll jam sessions in history.

According to legend, Sam Phillips, or the “Father of Rock ‘n’ Roll,” launched the careers of each icon and assembled them at the Sun Records storefront studio in Memphis for the first and only time.

Directed by Eric Schaeffer and based on the book by Colin Escott and Floyd Mutrux, “Million Dollar Quartet” opened in 2008 in Chicago and became the longest running musical production in Chicago’s history, before its well-received Broadway debut in 2010.

“Million Dollar Quartet” has won a Tony Award for Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical as well as nominations for Best Musical and Best Book of a Musical.

As an international Tony Award-winning musical brings the legendary jam session to life with timeless hits including “Blue Suede Shoes,” “Great Balls of Fire,” “I Walk the Line,” “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On,” “Folsom Prison Blues,” “Hound Dog” and more.

Jeff’s Pizza will be served at 6:45 p.m. for free for all ISU students on the second floor balcony of Stephens Auditorium. Students must bring their student IDs in order to get free pizza.

Tickets for ISU students are $33. Other tickets range among $24, $39, $56 and $68. Tickets are available for purchase via Ticketmaster and can be additionally purchased from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Stephens Auditorium ticket office.

For more information on Million Dollar Quartet, visit the Iowa State Center’s Web Page for the show and the show’s tour website