DubH brings moves to Ames City Auditorium

DubH, also known as the ISU Hip Hop Club, will perform its spring show, called The Movement, at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. April 25 at the Ames City Auditorium. One dollar from each ticket will go toward Dance Marathon.

Melissa Garrett

Featuring 20 unique performances and a theme called “The Movement,” the ISU Hip Hop Club — nicknamed DubH by students — will perform its spring 2015 show at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. April 25 at the Ames City Auditorium.

From 30 members to more than 250 members, DubH has grown not only in size but also in variety of hip hop styles. With beginner to advanced skill levels and dances that range from contemporary, lyrical and modern dances, the main focus of the club is hip hop dance.

“DubH is going through a new chapter,” said Ryan Rassasombath, DubH president. “That’s what ‘The Movement’ is about. It’s just expressing how much we’ve changed as a club since we first started.”

As a self-taught dancer and choreographer, Rassasombath, senior in industrial design, joined DubH in 2012 after discovering it at ClubFest and on the ISU Student Organization Database.

“This is a club that you get to meet different people from every different college around Iowa State. It’s [open] to everyone, so you meet so many different people on campus [and] those people are going to become your lifelong friends,” Rassasombath said.

Dancers sign up for dances and practices, which are on campus for 90-minute time slots, but no prior dance background is necessary to join DubH. However, dancers must be part of DubH for two semesters in order to become a choreographer.

“Don’t be discouraged if you haven’t danced before. We’ll still accept you no matter what,” Rassasombath said. “There’s no auditions at all. [Dancers] sign up for whatever dance they want [or] what days are available to [them].”

With a studio dance background, Whitney Hess, DubH public relations representative and senior in kinesiology and health, came to Iowa State as a transfer student. Her community adviser recommended she join DubH at ClubFest.

“As a college kid here for an education, I just wanted to have fun and have an element to escape from my text books and labs,” Hess said. “DubH was a good way to get out that extra energy and stress and just know for an hour and a half [practice] I could have fun that day.”

Hess said DubH club members can recognize each other frequently around campus, based on the large DubH logo on their clothing and merchandise that she helped design.

“I’ll admit I don’t know everyone’s name or everyone’s face [in the club], but when I have on my DubH hoodie and someone has on their DubH T-shirt, you can wave and say, ‘I probably don’t know your name but we dance together,’” Hess said.

Open to ISU students and non-ISU students who are 18 and older, there is no limitation on age or skills of the dancers. Hess said the oldest dancer in the club was a 56-year-old woman. DubH has provided an increasing amount of workshops that are open to the public in efforts to expand the club’s presence in the community.

“We welcome anyone and everyone who just loves to dance and express themselves,” Hess said. “We’re definitely working on trying to involve the community more [and] we do have a lot of alumni who either work in Ankeny or Ames that drive to [practice].”

Advance tickets are available for purchase for $8 at the DubH office, located at Office K in the East Student Office Space of the Memorial Union. Tickets may also be purchased at the door Saturday, but DubH shows have often sold out in the past.

DubH will additionally donate $1 of every ticket purchased to Dance Marathon.

Doors for the 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. shows will open at 2:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Saturday.

For more information about DubH’s “The Movement 2015” show or to join DubH, visit the ISU Hip Hop Dance Club (DubH) Facebook page or contact the club officers via the club’s  page on the ISU Student Organization Database.