Director of the International Students and Scholars Office accepts new position at Michigan State

Brian Mozey/Iowa State Daily

Director of the International Students and Scholars Office, James Dorsett has been at Iowa State for the last nine years and has decided to leave because of bigger attraction. 

Hyeona Jeon

Though James Dorsett is leaving Iowa State University, he will also be leaving positive memories in thousands of international students’ minds.

Dorsett, who has been Iowa State’s International Students and Scholars Director for nine years, is planning to move to Michigan State University for a similar position on a larger scale. 

The Michigan State office is called “Office for International Students and Scholars” and the school has about 7,100 international students, according to the 2013 report from the MSU Office for International Students and Scholars.

“I am attracted by the bigger school and it will be a great office and plus they have a variety of challenges there that I think that I can help them with, “Dorsett said. “I believed that I have worked on a lot of challenges in Iowa State.”

When Michigan State contacted him, he said he was interested in taking on those challenges. 

“It is time for a new set [of] challenges,” he said. 

Before starting at Iowa State, Dorsett worked at Wayne State University in Detroit and served as the director of the Office of International Students and Scholars, similar to what he does here.

He came here in April 2006 and since then, the international student population has increased from 2,200 to almost 4,000. The size of the International Students and Scholars Office also increased to accommodate for more students.

During his time here, he has created new programs, innovations and met thousands of international students. Just in the last two years, he helped create a leadership and mentor program called Cultural Investor.

He said he is proud of the leadership program, which has gone on for three years and is proud of the students who have gone on to have different leadership experiences both at and beyond Iowa State.

Though he will be leaving, he began working on creating a course for international students to take their first year to help them learn more about the university and how to be a student in America. He also served as the interim Dean of Students in the Dean of Students Office from October 2011 until August 2012 and created the International Student Advisory Board in fall 2014.

He also said he enjoyed working with students in his office and those from the Government of the Student Body and the Graduate and Professional Student Senate.

Xilu Wang, president of Chinese Student and Scholars Association and graduate in electrical and computer engineering worked with Dorsett in the fall semester on the memorial for Tong Shao, the international student from China who was found dead in fall 2014, in which a group of people gathered together to commemorate her death by lighting candles and saying some words about her.

“He is very kind person,” Wang said. “He is very willing to offer his help if it is needed.”

Wang met Dorsett when he was a freshman and they got to know each other during the years. Dorsett eventually helped Wang apply for graduate school.

Two years ago, Wang went to a program held by International Students and Scholars Office, which helped train international students to become good leaders.

“It was a great program to me because I learned a lot of things in there and also in the program. James Dorsett gave a speech about how to be a leader and educate some other skills,” Wang said. “He was caring so much about students.”

Wang said he was impressed that Dorsett attended as many meetings as he could and listened to individual students’ experiences and feelings and paid attention to their suggestions. Even though Dorsett held a higher position at the university, he still tried to attend as many of the smaller organization meetings as he could. 

“From all this action, I think he is really care about international students,” he said.

Wang said that he is sorry he won’t see Dorsett in the future, but said he thinks Dorsett did a good job at Iowa State.

Ashley Huth, international supervisor, said Dorsett has been her direct supervisor for two years and was a great boss and manager. 

“He is nice person,” Huth said. “Friendly and helpful to his staff, as well as students. He is also supported as a boss and always encouraged the staff to take professional development opportunity. One of the things that I most respect about him is true care about students. He always has the best interest [of the] student at heart.”

When she heard that Dorsett was moving to Michigan State, she said it surprised her, but that she thinks it will be a great job for him as an international educator.

Dorsett is set to leave March 9. The interim director has not yet been determined, but Dorsett said Tom Hill, senior vice president for student affairs, will head that decision.

Though Dorsett said he is excited for the new position, he said he will miss Iowa State. 

“I [will miss] many of the traditions and activities of Iowa State. I know that each year I really enjoyed international food fair … and certainly going to the football and the basketball games from Iowa State,” Dorsett said. “I usually go to several of the games and cheer on the Cyclones and that will be something that I will definitely miss.”