Memorial honors three Chapel Hill shooting victims

Jessica Darland/Iowa State Daily

The International Student Council came together with other ISU groups on Feb. 20 for a vigil honoring the victims shot at Chapel Hill on Feb. 10. About 40 students gathered to speak and sign cards for the families of the college-age victims.

Lindsay Greifzu

Despite the bitter cold temperatures, ISU students came out to Central Campus for a memorial to honor the memories of the victims of the Chapel Hill shooting that took place earlier this month.

About 40 people attended the memorial Feb. 20 to honor the lives of the three young Muslim victims who were shot in Chapel Hill, N.C.

International Student Council, Arab Students Association and Muslim Student Association came together to plan the event.

ISU students who are active members in the Islamic community gave speeches and anyone attending had an opportunity to speak at an open mic to pay tribute. Cards were also available for people to sign and leave notes of good will for the family of the deceased.

The shooting at Chapel Hill, N.C., took place Tuesday, Feb. 10. Craig Hicks, 46, was charged with murder over what is believed to have been a parking dispute. However, the FBI is now investigating the execution-style murders as a hate crime. A hate crime is when the crime committed is fueled by discrimination.

“Congress has defined a hate crime as a ‘criminal offense against a person or property motivated in whole or in part by an offender’s bias against a race, religion, disability, ethnic origin or sexual orientation,'” according to the FBI. 

The victims of this shooting include Deah Shaddy Barakat, 23; Yusor Mohammad, 21; and Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha, 19. All three were shot in the head.

Karim Mohamed Abdelhamid, president of the Arab Student Association at Iowa State, said he wanted to bring light to the victims’ good deeds leading up to the incident.

“They were winners before their death and even after,” he said.

The three victims were heavily involved in relief efforts for Syrian refugees. Prior to their deaths, they started a charity to raise money for medical supplies. This fund has turned into their legacy, now having raised more than $200,000.

“The impact they have left on this world will never be forgotten,” said Sultan Alsayegh, president of the Muslim Student Association.

This event has paved the way for discussion regarding “Islamophobia” in America today. Zaynab Diallo, member of the International Student Council, highlighted how important it is to have solidarity in the community during her speech.

“It’s important that people talk about it,” she said. “It’s not a homogeneous group and it’s important to see the diversity within Islam.”

This memorial was important to not only acknowledge and honor the lives of the victims, but to also create more solidarity among Muslims at Iowa State. James Dorsett, director of the International Students and Scholars Office, said these type of events could happen anywhere, any time.

“I think it’s always important for people who are a part of a group that has violence against them to understand that, at a place like Iowa State, we will accept anyone and everyone,” Dorsett said.