Argentine Tango a “delightful time”

Professional dancer Valerie Williams dances with Larry Gleason, an ISU graduate who has been going to her classes for eight years, during her Argentine Tango class Feb. 1 in room 3512 of the Memorial Union.

Allison Luety

Despite several inches of snow, howling winds and poor road conditions, Valerie Williams still held her weekly Argentine Tango class Feb. 1.

Williams’ class is held every Sunday from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. on the third floor of the Memorial Union. Students rave about the class, braving the weather to enjoy the Argentine Tango.

Larry Gleason, ISU graduate and long-time dance enthusiast, has been attending Williams’ dance class for the past eight years.

“For this class, it was actually Valerie Williams who got me involved in Argentine Tango,” Gleason said.

Williams, a professional dancer and instructor, found her love of dance growing up in Milwaukee, Wis.

“I polkaed and waltzed before I think I could walk,” Williams said. “The study of dance was frivolous, but dancing was normal.”

Defying the norms, Williams eventually went to school for dance, where she studied ballet and modern dance. As director of Co’Motion Dance Theater in Ames, Williams produces concerts and teaches modern dance to students.

“I am a dancer by profession,” Williams said. “I also dance for fun.”

Since 1975, Williams has toured professionally as a performer, choreographer and teacher. Argentine Tango is more of a social dance to Williams.

“Tango is a process. It’s not something you can just learn and say OK, now I know tango,” Williams said. “It’s all a response to the music and your partner.”

Williams’ Argentine Tango class didn’t always take place in the Memorial Union. Over a decade ago, she taught the class at a variety of venues, including Café Diem. Around 2004, Letitia Kenemer, workspace coordinator at the Memorial Union, offered Williams a space in the Union.

For the past decade, Williams has taught Argentine Tango on Sundays in the Memorial Union. Students such as Gleason and Yingjun Wang motivate Williams to continue her class.

“My absolute favorite part about instructing is that aha moment that people have. I teach something and they learn on it and work on their technique,” Williams said. “When they actually made a response to the music, it is so satisfying.”

The rewards that come with the challenges keep Gleason coming back.

“This is the only dance I know of where you really have to relate well to your partner,” Gleason said. “I had done ballroom dance for a lot of years and found Argentine Tango challenging.”

The Argentine Tango differs from the American version. Argentine Tango is an improvised social dance and a dance that can never be replicated.

Wang is also a long-time student of Williams. He has a passion for dance, learning ballroom dancing prior to the Argentine Tango.

“The first time I saw people dancing Argentine Tango it [was] so impressive,” said Wang. “You can feel like the dancer has a relationship with their partner.”

Wang has been attending class for several years, commending Williams as an instructor.

“She is a great dancer,” Wang said. “When I get the chance to dance with her, it’s really awesome.”

Williams encourages anybody to try out her class. No experience is necessary. The Argentine Tango is a social dance performed for enjoyment.

“That’s actually what its really about, is having that delightful time,” Williams said.