Final round of Varieties to perform at Memorial Union

Sound checks and lighting is adjusted as Varieties finalist group Candyland runs through its routine. The Varieties finals will take place in the Memorial Union South Ballroom this Friday and Saturday.

Tong Lin

Varieties has been showcasing the talents of ISU students for more than 80 years.

The Student Union Board Varieties Committee organizes each year’s Varieties show. The Student Union Board is an organization that produces events, films, comedy shows and educational entertainment programs for the campus and students.

The semi-final shows took place Feb. 6 and 7, and the finals rehearsal took place Feb. 18. The first final will perform at 8 p.m. Feb. 20 and 21 in the Great Hall and South Ballroom of the Memorial Union. Awards will be given out both nights.

The Student Union Board chooses overall themes and assists with skits and vignettes.

The pairings performing at the finals include Candyland, Whose Show is it Anyway, The Not So Storybook Ending and Trouble in Disney.

The vignettes performing include the ISU Juggling Club, Sean Diemer, junior in mechanical engineering, Kimberly Woo, senior in journalism and mass communication, and Abhi Pant, senior in industrial engineering.

“We started practice on Nov. 9, 2014, and we have been producing and preparing for the shows for almost four months,” said Scott McDonald, senior in agricultural business and the director of the Student Union Board. “In December, we had the Varieties exhibition that performers could show us what they got at that point. In January and February, we had tech rehearsal and dress rehearsal.”

Varieties started in 1931. Performances consist of 18-20 minute “mini-musicals” that are performed with original lyrics and choreography.

Andrew Phaff, sophomore in mechanical engineering, is the screenwriter for the shows.

“There are six total teams and performances, and four are moved to the final, which is this weekend. The theme for this year’s Varieties is Candyland,” Phaff said.

The shows are open to anyone who goes to Iowa State.

“We rewrite the lyrics for each songs,” Phaff said. “Our act is Candyland, which is like a board game when everyone is like a kid. The whole performance is about these game pieces are going to the Candy Castle for the king’s birthday party.”

There are about 400 performers in Varieties this year. While the majority of the performers are in the greek community, non-greek members and international students are welcome to perform.

“The biggest difference between this year’s Varieties and the past few years is that there were no non-greek students [who] participated four or five years ago,” Phaff said. “In order to encourage more students to participate, we added to the rule book that those who include non-greek students would be rewarded for extra credits. There are around thirty non-greek students participating.”

The ticket price for semi-finals is $8 for students and $10 for adults. It will cost $10 for students and $12 for adults to see the final shows. A $1 discount will be provided for groups of 10 or more and $2 for 30 or more.

Tickets are available online at: http://www.midwestix.com/organizations/iowa-state-memorial-union.