Iowa State under investigation for handling of sexual assaults

Matthew Rezab

Iowa State is being investigated by the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights due to reports of sexual violence against students, including a woman who said she was raped last year, the school confirmed Thursday.

Iowa State is one of more than 90 colleges being investigated as part of a crackdown on what has been called an epidemic of sexual assault on campuses by the Obama administration, according to an Associated Press article.

The federal office requested all records related to what steps the university took and how the school investigated the woman’s report of assault, along with details of sex discrimination, violence dating and harassment from 2011 through the present.

The school has turned over thousands of documents about reports of sexual violence, school spokesman John McCarroll said to the AP.

Iowa State is the first of Iowa’s three public universities to face an investigation. If violations of federal laws prohibiting sex discrimination in education are found, they could lead to fines and changes in procedure.

The federal office sent a letter to ISU President Steven Leath on Oct. 15 saying it had received a complaint that gender discrimination had occurred in the university response to the alleged rape.

A criminal complaint was filed by the university police department against the alleged perpetrator in early January – eight months after the incident. A student disciplinary hearing is scheduled in February.

“The complaint raises whether the university fails to promptly and equitably respond to complaints, reports and/or incidents of sexual violence of which it had notice,” including the woman’s report, “thereby creating for students a sexually hostile environment,” supervisory attorney for the Department of Education, Karen Tamburro wrote to the AP. 

McCarroll said in the article the matter is still under review, but officials believe the case is being handled properly.

“Having a safe campus has always been a very top priority for Iowa State University,” he said.