Technology in College

Abby Wadeson

You’re sitting in class trying to pay attention, but there are distractions all around you. The person in front of you is scrolling through Facebook. The person next to you is playing Trivia Crack. You end up texting and miss some of the lecture. This scene is common for college students today.

As reported by edudemic.com, 38% of college students cannot go 10 minutes without checking their email, tablet, laptop, or smartphone.

Amy Popillion, a professor in human development and family studies, tries to curb the effects of the scene described above by implementing a “technology-free zone” while she is teaching.

Popillion used research and feedback from students to come to a compromise about how to handle technology use in the classroom.

“The feedback from students that I was getting was they didn’t like to be told that they can’t have laptops,” said Popillion. “The research was telling me that there is evidence to show that technology is a distraction and is directly related to more negative outcomes for learning.”

Popillion allows laptops, for note taking only, on the sides of the lecture hall during class time. People can choose which zone they want to sit in and take ownership of their learning.

Popillion wonders about the amount of technology use in college compared to high school and in the work place. In most high schools students aren’t allowed to use their personal laptops or cell phones during class. Once students leave college and enter professional careers they aren’t allowed to be browsing the Internet during meetings.

“When has that become an okay behavior?” said Popillion in reference to college students using technology during class.

Ben Biggins, a sophomore in chemical engineering, isn’t bothered when his classmates around him use their devices during class.

“I don’t find it distracting personally. When I’m sitting in lecture I’m paying attention to the professor. If someone has their phone or computer out I’m not going to be interested in what they’re doing. I might be more interested, but I won’t be more inclined to pay attention to it,” said Biggins.

Biggins takes almost all of his notes on paper because it’s difficult to take mathematical notes on a computer. A fair number of his professors don’t even allow laptops in their classrooms.

Technology in the classroom has its issues, but it can alter the way students communicate with their professors and their peers.

Instead of waiting until office hours or the next class to ask professors questions, students can hop on their laptops and shoot their professors an email. According to edudemic.com, 91% of college students use email to communicate with their professors.

As reported in The New York Times, students don’t check their email regularly. They would prefer professors communicate with them through social media, but many professors aren’t comfortable being friends with their students on Facebook.

Biggins prefers to visit his professors in person.

“I can get to know them in person and that’s not as possible over email,” said Biggins.

Technology in the classroom can also provide opportunities for more student engagement. Professors can use clickers to ask students questions and record in-class points.

Popillion is a fan of clickers when they are working properly, but when she has technological problems she thinks they create a little bit of added stress.

“For my human sexuality class, I definitely love it. I think they’re a really good tool,” Popillion said.

Popillion thinks that clickers give students in her human sexuality class an opportunity to see what other people are thinking or have done without judgment.

Professors can also use a polling system, like Top Hat, to record in-class participation. According to their website, Top Hat is a classroom and student response system used to increase student engagement during lectures using their cell phones. Top Hat is free for professors, but students pay $20 per term or $38 for a 5-year subscription. Students can choose to answer the questions through the Top Hat app, on the Top Hat website, or by texting.

Alex Tuckness, a professor in political science, has been using Top Hat for two years and prefers it to clickers.

“The reason I prefer this system, based on conversations with colleagues, is students have a hard time remembering to bring clickers and they have a much easier time remembering to bring a phone since they have that with them anyway.”

Tuckness reports minimal glitches with Top Hat.

The days of books, pencils, and paper seem to be drifting away outside of the physical classroom as well. Education appears to be transitioning to an online format.

Students can choose to order an electronic textbook, or e-book, instead of the physical copy. According to an article in The Chicago Tribune, e-books provide convenience. Students don’t have to lug around heavy textbooks all day. They can access all of their textbooks at their fingertips through their laptops. E-books also have the most current information while textbooks take a year or two to be printed. E-books cost about 40 percent less than printed textbooks, according to edudemic.com.

Biggins likes e-books because he is able to use the search function to find the information he needs, instead of flipping through pages.

As reported by The Chicago Tribune, the biggest downside to e-books is

computer strain syndrome. Computer strain syndrome occurs when the eyes become

strained from staring at a computer screen.

Students have the option to take classes online instead of in person. Universities including Penn State, Arizona State, and Oregon State are now offering degree programs completely online.

It is estimated by edudemic.com that in 2014, 5.14 million college students will take classes in a physical classroom, 3.55 million will take all classes online, and 18.65 million will take some classes online.

Online classes can be more convenient because students are able to do their coursework from the comfort of their own homes, according to businesssdictionary.com. Online classes provide students with more flexibility. Students can schedule college around their other responsibilities, like work and family.

Online classes can require a high level of self-motivation and discipline, as reported by businessdictionary.com. Procrastination may lead to some students not being successful in online classes.

College classrooms are transforming. Modern college students have the opportunity to choose from a variety of different ways to learn. Various electronic devices, clickers, Top Hat, Skype, e-books, and online classes are changing the way we think about education.