Local children get to trick or treat with ISU greek members

Blake Lanser/Iowa State Daily

3-year-old Tallis Garcia picks a duck during the ISU greek community trick or treat. Members of the greek community volunteered for two hours to hand out candy to members of the Ames community at Howe Hall on Oct. 29.

Wendy Cardwell

Goblins, ghosts and ghouls, among other costumes, will be haunting the Memorial Union from 6-8 p.m. Oct. 28 for the greek community’s annual trick-or-treat event.

Greek Trick or Treat, which will be held in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union, is an event open to children in Ames and surrounding communities, as well as children of faculty and staff. There is no cost to attend.

The event was created several years ago as a way for greek students to give back to the community and interact with local families.

“I enjoy being involved because it provides a fun environment filled with many activities and treats for local families to participate and interact with greek students,” said David Nguyen, coordinator for Greek Trick or Treat and senior in chemical engineering. 

Nguyen, along with Erika Gebard, senior in architecture, and Amina Frazier, sophomore in industrial engineering, are in charge of planning the event.

Greek members dress up in Halloween costumes that will promote a safe and fun atmosphere for the children and their families. The members are involved in running stations, handing out candy to all of the sweet-toothed children and participating in activities with the kids.

Chapters that were interested in participating in this event created different proposals. All four councils of the greek community are represented and nearly 20 greek chapters are involved in the event this year.

“[Gebard], [Frazier] and I reviewed proposals and selected activities for each group to provide an array of activities,” Nguyen said. “Chapters are bringing the supplies for the activities, and we are supplying the treats.”

There are a variety of activities taking place at the event. Some activities include face painting, pin the face on the pumpkin, a rubber duck pond and more. Children are able to participate in games like Spooky Simon Says and witch hat ring toss to earn more treats to take home.

The greek community marketed the event by reaching out to the university, local newspapers and the Ames and Boone Community School Districts. 

Nearly a 100 children participated last year. The event has taken place outside in the past, with the families and children walking up to each decorated greek house. The trick-or-treat route would go past fraternities and sororities on Ash Avenue and wind around sorority circle.

For the past few years, the event was held in a building in order to prevent problems with the weather and to create a safe environment for the children.

The location has changed this year to the Memorial Union because it is well known in the community and has many parking spaces. The Sun Room provided the capacity to host the different activities during this event.

“Greek Trick or Treat provides us the opportunity to outreach to the Ames community,” said Katy Cran, director of Greek Affairs. “It gives the opportunity for kids and families to have a safe, indoor opportunity for on-campus interaction with students.”