Marshmallow golf drives fundraising for United Way

The College of Design put on the marshmallow golf event Oct. 10 outside of the College of Design Building.

Emily Samuelson

With a mighty swing of her golf club, Iowa State student Alessandra Cuevas-Collazo, sophomore in architecture, launched a fist-sized marshmallow across the east lawn of the Design Building.

College of Design academic advisers Audrey Kennis and Allison Reich held Marshmallow Golf to help raise $5,000 in donations for United Way of Story County.

The United Way campaign was initially adopted three years ago by the College of Design, and their fundraising efforts have gradually grown year by year. Their goal for this year is almost $500 larger than last year.

They encouraged students to participate, hoping to reach at least 50 participants.

Kennis and Reich hold three events during the fall semester to fundraise. Their final fundraiser for the year, a bake-sale, will be held Oct. 30.

“[The United Way] really does a good job of reaching those in our community,” Kennis said. “It touches a lot of smaller organizations as well as the larger ones.”

Story County United Way works to improve the quality of life in the community. All the money raised is donated directly to United Way, where it is then shared with a variety of smaller community organizations.

“Marshmallow Golf” has been held each year.

“Basically, we ask ourselves what has worked in the past,” Reich said. “It is a way for people to contribute when they don’t know how.”

This event is the first of its type for Kennis and Reich.

“The most important thing is communication. First off, figure out what is fun for students,” Kennis said, “Then learn to communicate your cause.”

Unfortunately, Kennis and Reich faced challenges as they worked for their cause.

“It is hard to solicit students for money, but the kids are giving to something that really matters,” Kennis said. “Getting a dollar from a student can be challenging.”

However, involvement from students pays off. 

“Students get other students involved,” Reich said.

Next year, she would like to boost student involvement by creating a student committee to help raise money for the United Way.