GPSS rounds out orientation with fall social picnic

Jenna Reeves/Iowa State Daily

Arko Provo Mukherjee, center, president of Graduate and Professional Student Senate, talks with Bill Graves, left, associate dean of the Graduate College and GPSS adviser, and TJ Rakitan, a fellow student and club member, on Sept. 5.

Matthew Rezab

The Graduate and Professional Student Senate hosted its fall social at Brookside Park in Ames on Sept. 5, concluding a two-day welcome for new graduate students at Iowa State. Dozens of students socialized while enjoying hamburgers, hot dogs and sandwiches.

GPSS had orientation for incoming graduate students on Thursday night at the Iowa State Alumni Center to make students aware of the services and opportunities available to them. Friday was more casual and designed to be a meet-and-greet where students could socialize.

“This is an opportunity for new students to get to know people,” said Arko Provo Mukherjee, GPSS president. “It’s a lot of fun.”

Ruchir Goswami, GPSS legislative affairs chairman, said the events were also helpful for GPSS executives to get to know new students as well.

“We want to get to know the students and we want them to get to know us,” Goswami said. “[The fall social] is great for that.”

The full GPSS will have its monthly open meeting Sept. 29 in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.