Capping off the year: Country concerts and commencements

As the 2023–24 academic year draws to a close, Iowa State celebrates its spring 2024 graduates and will cap off the final weeks of the semester with several events for students to take part in. From plant sales to concerts, students will have an abundance of opportunities to unwind, connect and bid farewell to another chapter in their academic journeys.

Science Friday Live at Iowa State University

6–8 p.m., Saturday, May 4, Stephens Auditorium

Award-winning journalist, Ira Flatow, will host a special live performance of Friday Science in Stephens Auditorium. The night will feature a look behind the scenes at Flatow and the SciFri crew as they explore science news and stories currently taking place around Iowa. The event is hosted in partnership with Iowa Public Radio, and tickets can be purchased through the Iowa State Center website.

Graduation Commencements

May 9–11, Hilton Coliseum

• Graduate College: Thursday, May 9, 2024 at 7:00 p.m.
  • Veterinary Medicine: Friday, May 10, 2024 at 1:00 p.m.
  • Undergraduate Ceremony #1 (AGLS and BUS): Saturday, May 11 at 9:00 a.m.
  • Undergraduate Ceremony #2 (DESIGN and ENGR): Saturday, May 11 at 2:00 p.m.
  • Undergraduate Ceremony #3 (H SCI and LAS) Saturday, May 11 at 7:00 p.m.

Congratulations to the spring class of 2024. All graduation ceremonies will take place at Hilton Coliseum. Commencements will be live-streamed on YouTube; links to each ceremony can be found on the Iowa State graduation and commencement website. Tickets are not required to attend the ceremonies.

Art Mart Spring Sale

May 7–10, Memorial Union Art Gallery

• 4–7 p.m., Tuesday, May 7
  • 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Wednesday, May 8
  • 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Thursday, May 9
  • 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Friday, May 10

Find the perfect Mother’s Day gift or something to liven up your home decor at the annual Spring Art Mart Sale. The sale features a variety of student- and faculty-created work, with everything from blown glass to 3D-printed miniatures available for purchase. Proceeds from the event will help support individual artists, the Workspace and the Gaffer’s Guild. 

Plant Sale Extravaganza

May 11–12, Reiman Gardens

• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, May 11
  • 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Sunday, May 12

Reiman Gardens’ annual Plant Sale Extravaganza offers another chance for students to find that perfect Mother’s Day gift. From potted plants to shrubs and trees, a wide variety of foliage will be available for guests and members to purchase. Attendees will also have the chance to learn about horticulture and plant potting from some of Reiman Gardens’ top experts. Visitors are encouraged to arrive early and prepare their vehicles for transporting purchases home. 

Through the Eyes of George Washington Carver – The Student & Visionary

5–6 p.m., Thursday, May 16, Food Sciences Building

Immerse yourself in the history of the impactful Iowa State graduate George Washington Carver on an hour-long tour across several sites throughout Iowa State’s central campus. The tour, led by university museums specialist Nicholas Scott is free to attend and will begin at the south entrance of the Food Sciences Building, located near the circular drive.

Concert: George Strait, Chris Stapleton, Little Big Town

5:45 p.m., Saturday, May 25, Jack Trice Stadium 

Close out the year with a star-studded performance featuring three of the biggest names in country music. Eight-time Grammy-winner Chris Stapleton and country legend George Strait will continue their record-setting tour at Iowa State’s own Jack Trice Stadium. The two will be accompanied by special guest and Grammy-winning band, Little Big Town. To purchase tickets and find further information about the 2024 stadium tour, visit Ticketmaster and georgestrait.com.