Cyclones cap off regular season at ISU Alumni Open

Elizabeth Lane
Kailynn Gubbels (left), Kiersten Fisher (middle) and Sophia Myers (right) compete in the 100m hurdles during the ISU Alumni Open at Cyclone Sports Complex on May 3, 2024.

The Iowa State track and field team closed its regular season Friday during the ISU Amuni Open, ending on a high with success in multiple events.

The Cyclones also sent Finley Mclear to the Kehoe Twilight, who contributed to the Cyclones’ success in the 800-meter.

Wins in the field events

The Cyclones took home first place in multiple throwing events. The women’s discus throw started strong, with Betty Rosvold placing first overall with a throw of 53.84 meters.

The men’s shot put followed with Kevin Sakson, who placed first overall with a throw of 18.06 meters. Blake Veenstra followed and placed second overall with a throw of 16.60 meters.

Newfound success during the hurdles

The Cyclones excelled in all hurdle events during the ISU Alumni Open and set new personal best records.

In the women’s 100-meter hurdles, Kiersten Fisher placed first overall with a new personal best time of 13.91 seconds. Kailynn Gubbels followed shortly behind and placed third overall with a time of 14.87.

In the men’s 110-meter hurdles, freshman Jack Latham placed first overall with a time of 14.40 seconds. Grayson Hartman followed with a time of 14.64 seconds and placed second overall.

In the men’s 400-meter hurdles, Alec Carr took home first place with a time of 51.56. Joven Nelson placed third overall with a time of 52.58 and Grayson Hartman followed with a personal best time of 54.92 and placed fourth overall.

Cyclones finish strong with dominant performances in 1500-meter

The ISU Alumni Open concluded with the 1500-meter dash where both men’s and women’s categories had outstanding performances for the Cyclones.

Aspen Fulbright started the success during the women’s 1500-meter dash with a first overall finish with a time of 4:36.29.

The day concluded with the men’s 1500-meter dash where Devan Kipyego placed first overall with a time of 3:42.08. Sophomore Emanuel Galdino placed second overall with a personal best of 3:42.77 and Levi Taylor placed fourth overall with a time of 3:46.17.

Finley Mclear participated in the Kehoe Twilight where he placed third overall in the men’s 800-meter dash with a time of 1:47.96 and finished as the fastest collegian.