The Fashion Show members reflect on Midnight Bloom

HELP%21+I+CANT+ESCAPE+MY+MIND%21+by+Kai+Marais+Huntoon+is+modeled+during+The+Fashion+Show%3A+Midnight+Bloom+at+C.Y.+Stephens+Auditorium+on+April+20%2C+2024.+
Elizabeth Lane
“HELP! I CAN’T ESCAPE MY MIND!” by Kai Marais Huntoon is modeled during The Fashion Show: “Midnight Bloom” at C.Y. Stephens Auditorium on April 20, 2024.

The Fashion Show kicked off its 42nd annual show April 20 in Stephens Auditorium. This year’s theme of Midnight Bloom inspired the works of over 75 student designers. 

Three directors from The Fashion Show’s committees looked into their experience on the night of the show and everything behind the scenes that went into bringing the show together. 

“This was my first year being involved in The Fashion Show, and I have only been an attendee one other time, so it was quite new to me. But all I was thinking was ‘Wow,’” said Madeline Hayes, a marketing director and senior in marketing. “It was so inspiring to see all the students’ hard work, which made me feel so lucky to go to Iowa State University. The talent, long hours and constant hard work showed at this year’s Fashion Show.” 

The night included merchandise available for purchase as well as speeches from committee members, collaborators and faculty before the curtain rose. After the show, the night concluded with the committee members walking the runway, recognizing the work put into every aspect of the organization’s big day. 

“For the show itself, it was certainly more stressful to be a part of the show compared to being a guest; however, it was even more exciting on the day of show, knowing how much effort it took to get to this milestone,” said Emma Allen, a member of the marketing committee and sophomore in English. “It is also incredibly rewarding to walk the runway at the end of the show and be recognized.” 

Allen’s committee worked to host pop-ups and spread advertisements, inviting Iowa State students as well as the general public. 

“As a marketing director, I have worked with helping set up the basketball concession stand fundraisers, merch sales and many events to help promote The Fashion Show all over campus,” Hayes said. 

Pop-up displays showing sneak peeks and advertisements of the show were spread across campus and Ames, collaborating with campus buildings and local businesses to spread the word.

“As part of the Visual Merchandising Committee, many of our tasks have been installing displays in LeBaron and the MU bookstore,” said Alejandra Palou, director of the Visual Merchandising Committee and a sophomore in apparel, merchandising and design. “We also collaborated with Oak Lane Candle Co. to put up a physical mock-up display to help advertise the show. I really enjoyed getting to know everyone within the committee and being able to build a friendship-based relationship with my committee members. At the beginning it can be hard to see everything taking place, and seeing everything settle and flourish is so rewarding,” 

Abigail Klauer, the director of the Fashion Show’s design committee and senior in apparel, merchandising, and design, shared insight into the time and dedication required to bring the show together each year.

“[A] cherished memory from this year’s event was the early morning trek across campus during judging weekend. Despite the sleep deprivation and the challenge of navigating windy conditions, the experience of transporting garment racks from LeBaron to the Student Innovation Center was filled with humor and anticipation for the day, creating lasting memories,” Klauer said. 

Other committees hosted Fashion Week events, decorated the stage and assisted models and designers backstage. 

“The Fashion Show 2024 was a very successful year,” Allen said. “All of the committees this year were so talented and active, accomplishing so much in such a short time. It is truly amazing how each committee works on a small scale to contribute to the overall success of such a huge student-run production.”

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500