Shanks: Invest in yourself

Jacob Rice
Logan Shanks, Assistant Sports Editor

There are few people in your life who will believe in you no matter what, but the only one who can make things happen is who you look at in the mirror.

When I first came to Iowa State, I mostly did it because I knew it was the next step in my life. Sure, I loved the campus and I knew I wanted a career in journalism, but going to college was just the next step for me.

I did not have a drive to put myself out there my first couple of years, especially when it came to getting a jumpstart on my career. I remember often thinking about why opportunities came to some people and how they were finding the success that I sought.

I wish I could remember the day or what specifically made me switch my mentality, but I left the ‘poor me’ attitude behind going into my junior year.

I had to ask myself ‘Why would someone believe in me when I do not believe in myself yet?’

The truth is, success is not going to just fall on your doorstep. Whether it is a job, an internship or a degree, you have to be the one to set yourself up for success.

The ‘I will do it tomorrow’ lifestyle does not work in the real world, especially for a college student still trying to find their place.

I started paying attention in my classes, constantly looking for opportunities for my career and surrounded myself with some people I am lucky to call my friends.

In college, I also learned that you can not be afraid to fail because failure teaches you how to get better. Looking back, I was scared to put myself out there because I was scared to fail.

You can not let failure keep you from the success you desire, because if you have not heard it yet, I will be the first to tell you that you will fail.

It is unlikely that you will get the first job you apply for, but you can’t let that stop you from applying for 10 more. At this point, you have bought into your dream, and now it is your turn to sell it to employers.

I got really lucky that I found the Iowa State Daily and the people there. Not only did I create an extensive portfolio for myself, but I had great coworkers who turned into close friends.

I was reluctant to join at first, again just doubting myself, but I never regretted it after I saw what it was doing for my career and my personal life.

All the lessons I learned and the friends I gained along the way at Iowa State are because I took a chance and bet on myself. Thank you to everyone who helped me along the way, you know who you are.

I am not saying my experience should be a model for everyone and be posted on the walls of the Memorial Union. But it should be an example for anyone who thinks they can’t do something.

Anyone can do anything, you just have to get out of bed and go do it.