Iowa State provides services for LGBT students, faculty

Danielle Ferguson

There are a variety of ways for people who identify themselves as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning or ally to find community on campus. Iowa State has a number of services available to both students and faculty.

1. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Student Services

LGBTSS offers a safe place for any person at Iowa State to explore aspects of his or her sexuality or gender identity. The center has books, DVDs and other support materials to check out or rent. The center is open every weekday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The center also provides the Safe Zone Program. Training participants will learn more about LGBTQA issues and support services. The purpose of the program is to label places as safe zones for members of the LGBTQA community.

Website

2. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Ally Alliance

The LGBTAA provides a safe space to learn about the LGBT community and the culture of it with educational, social and cultural programming, said president Adam Guenther. The group puts on events throughout the year, such as Coming Out Week, Pride Week and the drag shows.

The Alliance has office hours every day for students to visit and hosts meetings every Wednesday from 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the East Student Office Space in the Memorial Union.

Website

3. Gamma Rho Lambda

Gamma Rho Lambda Colony is a social sorority-colony for women who identify themselves as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer or ally and are looking for sisterhood. The sorority hopes to showcase qualities of acceptance, diversity, unity and trust, according to its website. The group also helps provide assistance in the areas of academics, emotional support and community service.

Website

4. Delta Lamda Phi

The brothers of Delta Lamda Phi accept progressive, gay and bisexual men. The men work to fight discrimination and perform community service projects that focus around the needs of the LGBTQA community.

Website

5. CVM Spectrum

The CVM Spectrum is a professional organization for College of Veterinary Medicine members who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or straight allies. The organization is open for both undergraduate and graduate students, staff, faculty and technicians involved in the College of Veterinary Medicine.

Website

6. One Iowa at ISU

One Iowa is one of the largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender organizations in Iowa. Its goal is to work toward equality through education. A few of the issues it works on is why marriage matters to the LGBT community, safe environments for LGBTQA youth, reaching out to religious institute and more, according to its website.

Website