ISU volleyball extends supremacy in Cy-Hawk Series

Freshman Alexis Conaway and senior Victoria Hurtt celebrate after winning a point against the University of Iowa on Sept. 20. The Cyclones swept the Hawkeyes in three sets. 

Max Dible

A tradition of dominance

ISU volleyball has claimed the previous 10 matches against Iowa in the Cy-Hawk Series.

The last time the Cyclones lost to the Hawkeyes was Sept. 13, 1997.

A youth movement

Freshman Alexis Conaway put on a stellar performance in her first Cy-Hawk appearance, posting 10 kills, six digs and five block assists.

“Alexis was awesome once again,” said ISU head coach Christy Johnson-Lynch.

Samara West scored the final two ISU points in the tight first set, which shifted the momentum to Iowa State’s side of the net and prompted Johnson-Lynch to describe the redshirt freshman as “a future star.”

Battling through injury

Both West and senior outside hitter Victoria Hurtt dealt with injuries Sept. 20. Although both were limited, Johnson-Lynch said each player made timely contributions crucial to the victory.

“Digging” out the victory

Iowa State totaled 50 digs in three sets against Iowa, with every ISU athlete that saw the floor tallying at least one dig.

Strong on the block

The Cyclones posted another strong blocking performance with seven blocks to the Hawkeyes’ five, continuing their progress in an area that Johnson-Lynch said is crucial to Iowa State’s success.