INTERNATIONAL GUIDE: ISU traditions/history

Saige Heyer

Iowa State is full of traditions and history. Here is a short history of Iowa State along with some of its most popular traditions.

History

Iowa State was established March 22, 1858, as a land grant institution and was originally called the Iowa Agricultural College and Model Farm.

The Farm House on the east side of Central Campus was the first building, which was completed in 1861. The first class at Iowa State took place in 1869. This class consisted of 24 men and two women, who graduated in 1872.

According to Iowa State’s website, the school “focused on the ideals that higher education should be accessible to all and that the university should teach liberal and practical subjects.”

The name of the university was changed to Iowa State University of Science and Technology in 1959.

Tailgating

This tradition takes place before every home football game, regardless of the weather. ISU students from near and far gather near Jack Trice Stadium to grill food, play games and prepare to cheer on the Cyclones.

Homecoming

Homecoming is celebrated every fall at Iowa State. Some of the traditions include many greek community events, a football game and tailgating.

The Zodiac

This ornate piece of artwork is located in the north entry of the Memorial Union.

William T. Proudfoot,designed it to be raised from the floor so when students walked across it, it would wear down over time to be even with the floor.

Some students decided it was too beautiful to walk on so created the myth that if students walked on the Zodiac, they would fail their next exams. To reverse the “curse,” students can throw a coin in the Fountain of the Four Seasons outside.

Cy the Mascot

The big red bird who can be found at different sporting events and other university functions is Cy the Mascot.

In 1954, a group of students wanted to build school spirit and decided to create a mascot. It’s not easy to make a cyclone costume, so a cardinal was chosen because of Iowa State’s official colors — cardinal and gold.

The name Cy was chosen through a contest. Seventeen people submitted that name, but Mrs. Ed Ohlsen is credited for it since she was the first to submit it.