INTERNATIONAL GUIDE: Transportation

Saige Heyer

CyRide

CyRide is the bus system that can get you to just about anywhere on campus and around the city of Ames. It is free for Iowa State students to ride on any of the different routes as long as you have your ISU card. If you don’t have your ISU card, the cost is $1.25 per trip.

Different routes go to different areas of Ames and many of them cross paths so you can transfer from route to route.

If you are unsure about which route to take or when to pull the cord to stop, don’t hesitate to ask the drivers.

To find information regarding the different routes, visit www.cyride.com. You can also download the MyState app and view the routes and time tables there.

Vehicles

Many car dealerships can be found in Ames where you can find the right vehicle for you.

If you decide to purchase a vehicle, you need to keep in mind that you will need to license and insurance your vehicle and get a driver’s license.

To license your vehicle, you will have to go to the Treasurer’s Office at the Story County Courthouse in Nevada, Iowa.

To insure your vehicle, you will need to find an insurance office in Ames or online. Make sure to shop around before settling on an insurance plan as each one is different.

You can get your driver’s license at the Iowa Department of Transportation office in West Ames. This office is located near West Hy-Vee. Visit www.iowadot.gov/mvd/ods/newresidents.htm to find out what you need to do before getting a United States driver’s license.

Parking

Parking is limited in Ames and it is important to pay attention to where you can and cannot park.

Many of the lots on campus are reserved for faculty and staff only. The residence halls have parking lots for their residences as do most apartment buildings.

If students want a parking permit on campus, they can purchase one for the lot at Lied Recreation Center or Molecular Biology. Students can also park for free in the Commuter Lot at the Iowa State Center.

There are also pre-pay parking lots on campus. When parking at these lots, you pay ahead for your time to park there. You can add more time if needed.

Permits can be purchased at the Parking Division in the Armory on the west side of campus.