ISU prepares for flooding possibilities as surrounding areas flood

Katie Titus/Iowa State Daily

The main shelter at Brookside Park is flooded July 1 after heavy rainfall caused Squaw Creek in Ames to rise.

Runying Chen

Squaw Creek and South Skunk River overflowed June 30. Brookside Park, Veenker Memorial Golf Course and other areas in Ames were affected by the flooding.

As of 7 p.m. July 1,  Squaw Creek reached 11.24 feet, the South Skunk River at Highway 30 reached 23.5 feet and at West Riverside Road, the South Skunk River reached 16.71 feet. All levels were above the National Weather Service flood stage.

It is possible for the flood stream in Brookside Park and Squaw Creek to flow to the Iowa State Center and to the Maple-Willow-Larch dormitories, but it hasn’t happened this year. Most of campus is safe and flooding has not occured.

David Miller, associate vice president of facilities, planning and management, said the flood control efforts, including large walls and channels, have been set up to prevent storm water since frequent storms began hitting the area.

Concrete and steel walls in front the Scheman Building, Hilton Coliseum and Lied Recreation Athletic Center have been placed to keep water from coming in. Channels are used to drain the water away from the buildings.

The Scheman Building, Hilton Coliseum and Lied Recreation Athletic Center are the places where flooding has happened in the past. In 1993, flooding also occurred in Maple Hall, and in 2010, there was major flooding in campus buildings again. 

Flood control efforts for the three buildings were built in 2011, and $700,000 was spent for each building. Efforts have not prevented flooding yet because it hasn’t occurred on campus since then, Miller said.

“This time, flooding doesn’t appear in campus buildings at all,” Miller said, “We are [asked] to set those efforts up [though].”

Operations will be taken to clean up the water on the ground soon, Miller said.