Greenlee School adviser Jason Wiegand chosen for national leadership program

Tomhas Huhnke/Iowa State Daily

Jason Wiegand discusses the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communications to prospective students, April 14, 2014. Wiegand was selected as one of only 10 advisers across the country to participate in the National Academic Advisers Association’s Emerging Leaders Program.

Lani Tons

Jason Wiegand, academic adviser in the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication, will participate in the National Academic Advising Association’s Emerging Leader program.

The goal of the program is to promote and improve the skills of advisers, administrators and faculty to enhance their leadership abilities over a two-year development period.

“I needed to demonstrate that I had been an active member of [the association] for at least two years,” Wiegand said. “I had to write three essays articulating how my involvement as an emerging leader would support the program goal of providing increased representation from an underrepresented constituency, what I gained from my prior involvement with [the association] and how I envisioned myself contributing to the association going forward.”

Within these next two years, Wiegand will continue learning to improve his leadership ability and broadcast the talent for which he was recognized at the Greenlee School.

The Emerging Leaders program holds its leaders and mentors to a high standard, Wiegand said. 

Michael Bugeja, director of the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication considered Wiegland to be pursuing this high standard already.

“The [Greenlee] School hoped Jason could be chosen in a few years. We were so pleased that he was chosen the first time he applied,” Bugeja said.

In fact, only 10 emerging leaders and 10 mentors are chosen to participate for the two-year time.

It came almost as a surprise that this prestigious, highly selective program was offered to the Greenlee School adviser.

“When I initially expressed interest in becoming an emerging leader, I was informed how difficult it would be to get accepted. I was excited to accept that challenge,” Wiegand said.

Joel Geske, associate professor at Greenlee, takes part on the diversity committee in the department alongside other professors.

“I am chair of the [College of Liberal Arts and Sciences] Diversity Committee and an informal member of the Greenlee Diversity sub-committee,” Geske said.

He is also extremely familiar with the National Academic Advising Association. It was he who nominated Wiegand in the first place for the Emerging Leaders program.

Geske feels Wiegand is a role model.

“[He] works with Experience Iowa State and our new student and recruiting programs. He works with the student ambassadors and meets with incoming and prospective students,” Geske said.

According to Bugeja, the Greenlee School’s main focus is to serve its students.

“We want to retain them through excellent advising. We also value diversity and seek to make our student body more diverse,” Bugeja said.

The Emerging Leaders program can help enhance the student experience of the Greenlee School.

“I will be connected with a mentor in [the association] who will guide me in establishing and executing a list of personal and professional goals. I will develop a strong network of contacts and learn how to utilize opportunities and resources within [the association],” Wiegand said.

This experience for Wiegand will benefit not only himself, but the future of Iowa State and the Greenlee School. In addition to the experience, a financial assistance of $1,500 was granted to Wiegand.

“The Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication will benefit from the leadership experiences I gain in research, publications, presentations and other areas of [the association]. In terms of the students I serve, I believe that we need to continue motivating and inspiring one another,” Wiegand said.