Student leaders talk tuition freeze at Regents Day

Danielle Ferguson

Student leaders from regent universities spoke on behalf of their universities about the proposed tuition freeze for the next academic year at Regents Day on March 24.

If approved by the Iowa Legislature, the tuition freeze would make tuition for in-state undergraduates the same for the third consecutive year. This would be the second year of a tuition freeze if approved.

Tuition for in-state undergraduates for most majors is $3,324, with increases seen in some specialty majors and upper level classifications. As of right now, the proposed tuition for fall 2014 is projected to stay the same for in-state undergraduates, but would increase if the legislature doesn’t approve the appropriations budget. 

Though the proposed freeze would only be for in-state undergraduates, Sen. Herman Quirmbach, D-Ames, said nonresident students would benefit, as well. 

“Proposing this appropriation request as the tuition freeze is a good way to frame it or market it,” Quirmbach said. “If the universities don’t get the appropriation they’re asking for, then tuition is going to be higher for everybody than what’s proposed.”

ISU Government of Student Body President Spencer Hughes said everyone he spoke with had a positive response to the tuition freeze, including legislators. 

“Obviously, college affordability is a top goal for everybody,” Hughes said. “This is seen as a step to ensure that we are able to have that. All the major players have expressed support, so things are looking good.”

Hughes said all university student body government leaders are supportive of the tuition freeze, but that UNI Student Body President Tom Madsen made it clear that UNI would not be in favor unless they got the proposed extra $4 million to help make up for their loss in revenue. 

Hughes said UNI would need the extra $4 million because a large portion of UNI’s student body is in-state.

UNI doesn’t have as much nonresident tuition revenue as the other universities, and a hold on resident tuition would affect their revenue significantly, Hughes said. 

The bill is now in the Senate, said Ron Jorgensen, R-Sioux City, chair of the education committee in the House. Once the Senate passes the bill to the House, the House will either amend the bill and send it back or approve what the Senate sends, Jorgensen said.

“I think the tuition freeze is something that has been on our list of wanting to get done,” Jorgensen said. “If the numbers work out, that’s something we’d favor.”

Quirmbach said his caucus is in favor of the freeze and mentioned Gov. Branstad’s support in his Condition of the State speech in January. 

Jorgensen said, “everything looks favorable from this family,” about the House. 

Quirmbach, Jorgensen and Hughes each said they were hopeful about the freeze.

“I fully anticipate that coming through once again for next year for in-state undergraduates,” Hughes said.

Quirmbach said he didn’t know a time frame on the budget in the legislature. Jorgensen said he hopes to see something next week or so.