New trends in drug violations

Graphic: Emily Hecht/Iowa State Daily

From 2012 to 2013, the number of arrests by ISU police for drug violations has not increased. However, there has been a change in drug arrest trends, with an increase in drug equipment violations. Arrests made for possession of unauthorized prescription drugs have also increased. 

Makayla Tendall

While the number of arrests for drug violations made by ISU police has remained static for the last two years, trends have changed.

ISU police only made 15 more arrests for drug violations from 2012 to 2013. The number of arrests made for drug equipment violations, or drug paraphernalia, increased by two arrests. These arrests are not all made on campus and do not exclusively involve students, said Jerry Stewart, director of public safety.

“These numbers don’t necessarily reflect Iowa State students. In fact, sometimes a majority of these charges have been filed on property that is not on campus. It’s property that’s either immediately contiguous or several blocks away,” Stewart said.

Stewart said that there has been an increase in the amount of arrests made for people in possession of prescription drugs for which they were not prescribed.

“Particularly in the past two years, if there is one trend we know, it would be the unauthorized possession of prescription drugs,” Stewart said. He said the most common unauthorized drug found during arrests were antidepressants and pain killers.

Marijuana continues to be the most common drug used by students, said Stewart. However, there have been more incidents of minor drug dealing.

Despite the increase in unauthorized prescription drug use, Stewart said the number of arrests made in residence halls has decreased.

“We are noting in the past three years that the percentage of drug charges originating from residence facilities has gone down slightly,” Stewart said. “Last year, the majority of our drug charges were as a result of usually being found on a person who was arrested for operating while intoxicated.”

Sally Deters, residence life coordinator, said the majority of calls made to ISU police regarding drug investigations come from community advisors or hall directors.

“Most of our drug cases are reported from our C.A. staff, although students do report it,” Deters said. “Most of them are reports that come from the smell. Some come from actually seeing the drug.”

Deters said C.A.s go through regular confrontation training where they are taught how to recognize and handle drug violations. ISU police also initiates training sessions with the staff regarding drug violations.

Stewart said it is still important for students to realize the repercussions a drug violation may have their future. Despite a record of criminal history and the potential inability to get a job, students may also face the loss of financial aid.