ISU professors, TAs prepare for spring semester

Antonia Hutzell

Most ISU students look forward to the significant amount of time off during Winter Break each year.

Winter Break is a time where students can go home to relax, spend time with their families and take a break from coursework until the next semester.

ISU professors and faculty also get to enjoy Winter Break, but they spend it differently than students. Professors and faculty, like students, get to spend quality time with their friends and family. But while students have other things on their minds, professors and faculty are still focused on school while enjoying break.

Tera Jordan, assistant professor of human development and family studies said, “Normally, I do not take a whole lot of time off during [Winter] Break. It’s a critical time for me to get work done. I take time to be with my family, but I also work on research and getting my classes prepared.

“I’m working every day to meet my goals so I’m ready to be back on [Jan. 13]. I try to get my students the revised syllabus on Blackboard with a week advance before school starts again. I take into account what worked well and what didn’t for that semester, and I try to change it for next semester.”

Tina Coffelt, assistant professor of English said that she prepares for the spring semester by relaxing at the end of December, returning to work early in January, dividing her work day between research and class preparation and relaxing the weekend before the first day of class.

“I have to get papers, projects and weekly homework assignments graded before the end of the semester for final grades,” said Jenna Kerns, senior in apparel, merchandising and design. “I get to enjoy my break, but a week before school starts, I try to get myself prepared.”

The transition from Winter Break to spring semester can be difficult for some students to handle.

Kerns, who is also a teaching assistant for Apparel Merchandising and Design 131, offers some advice for students to take into consideration.

“I think students should enjoy break, but I think they should make time to review their schedule before going back in case they need to make changes,” Kerns said.

Jordan said it is sometimes hard to keep students motivated during the beginning of the semester.

“My response is to kick things off with a bang,” Jordan said. “It’s cold and snowy and I try not to let it affect what I do. I try to come into the first day of the semester just as excited as I was the first day of the year.”

Jordan also offered some advice for students on how to transition from Winter Break into the spring semester.

Jordan said one thing to make the transition easier is to get back to campus and into your dorm or apartment a day or two early to get settled back in.

“Sit down and consider everything — like your class schedule, goals, professional goals and special projects,” Jordan said. “Map the semester out before classes start and center yourself.”