Students may be prone to winter weight gain

Richard Martinez / Iowa State Daily

Over the winter season, sedentary behavior caused by unfavorable weather may lead to unwanted gains in weight. Eating quantitatively more at holiday parties, or just for indulgence, are also at fault.

William Byal

Sedentary behavior plays a primary role when it comes to weight gain during the three month period of winter. Lack of activity and poor diet are the leading reasons why people gain weight during this season, said Sally Barclay, clinician in the food science and human nutrition department.

“Although seasonal weight gain varies from person to person, there have been surveys that show an average of 5- to 7-pound weight gain in winter,” said Dr. Lawrence J. Cheskin, founder and director of John Hopkins Weight Management Center.

If students aren’t able to lose the gained weight in the spring or before the next time winter comes around, they might gain another 4 or 5 pounds; over a few years, this can lead to health issues, Barclay said.

“Over time, it can affect blood pressure, could put you at a higher risk of diabetes [and] possibly heart disease down the road,” Barclay said. “Again that’s probably more accumulative, not just one season of weight gain.”

Barclay said the dark and cold months of winter cause people to seek “comfort foods,” and most of these choices aren’t healthy.

“If you find yourself using food for comfort, try to distract yourself and engage in something different to get your mind off of food,” Barclay said.

Instead of constantly jumping on the scale, Barclay suggests students set goals for themselves, focused on eating healthy, physical activity and maintaining personal accountability.

“My personal healthy goal over Winter Break is to make it to the gym at least three times a week plus home workouts,” said Victoria Patterson, junior in communication studies.

Barclays said monitoring diet and physical activity go hand in hand. A lot of applications out today will do both, including MyFitness Pal, SparkPeople.com and My Daily Plate to name a few.

“Technology can be really helpful, because I think it also makes you more conscious and aware of what you’re eating,” Barclay said. “Even if they’re not adding up what’s in the food, they’re at least more aware of what they’re eating and how much.”

Patterson said she doesn’t see a calorie increase over winter but claims she doesn’t go out to eat any more than she would any other season.

“I don’t specifically watch my calorie intake, but I do notice when I am at home with nothing to do, I tend to want to eat more,” Patterson said.

Barclay said to watch for eating because of boredom or emotions. Fruits and vegetables are healthy snacks that can fill students up when they’re sitting around. Also they’re high in fiber and nutrition while being low in calories.

“Limit drinks with calories, including coffee drinks, sports drinks [and] alcohol,” Barclay said. “Drink water, unsweetened tea and coffee, and low fat milk.”

Patterson said healthy foods she includes in her daily diet are lots of vegetables — especially greens — chicken, Greek yogurt with fruit, milk and lots of water.

“I think that having a plan or some strategies and actually making those into goals can be the difference,” Barclay said.