Bikers face same road rules as drivers

Every day, hundreds of cyclists compete for road space with drivers, pedestrians and CyRide buses. Iowa State’s campus follows the same rules for cyclists as the state of Iowa, which means that bicycles are given the same rights and responsibilities as any other driver according to the Ames Municipal Code.

Julie Paulson

Every day, hundreds of cyclists on Iowa State’s campus compete for road space with drivers, pedestrians and CyRide.

Bikers can be found on the bike paths, sidewalks and in the streets; but what are the rules of the road pertaining to them?

Iowa State’s Campus follows the same rules for cyclists as the state of Iowa. This means that bicyclists are given the same rights and responsibilities as any other driver according to the Ames Municipal Code.

Bikers have to yield to right-of-way traffic, remain on designated bike paths when available and use headlights and reflectors after dark.

“If you’re a bike, you’re a vehicle,” said Conrad Brendel, president of the ISU Cycling Club. “Iowa’s passing a law that … cars must change lanes to pass bikes. Most other states only require 3 feet.”

Bicyclists are not the only ones responsible for issues, Brendel said.

“Cars are responsible, too, for not texting or blowing stop signs,” Brendel said.

The municipal code does not necessarily keep everyone completely safe.

“Anyone who’s ridden long enough knows someone or of someone who’s been hit,” said Jesse Leonard, race coordinator of the Cycling Club. “If you follow the rules, you’ll be safe.”

The city of Ames also requires people to always have one hand on the handlebars and for all bikes to be registered. However, this does not mean that all bikes are registered.

“There are thousands [of bikes] on campus,” said Mark Miller, manager of Iowa State’s parking division. “Registration never expires. … There could be bikes that were registered 15 years ago on campus.”

Since the first of the year, 1,022 bicycles have been registered in Ames.

Iowa State handles registration, and licenses are issued by the city of Ames. Bicycle registration is free, and the application may be found online or at the Armory.

Parking bikes on campus is another issue that cyclists must deal with. Bicycles are to be parked in the bike racks and not on lawns or chained to trees, according to the parking division’s website. However, tickets are not often given for parking violations.

“Typically, we just leave a flyer on the bike,” Miller said. “Bikes parked on the medical ramps will be impounded.”

Brendel stated that many bicyclists do not follow bike parking laws and that the laws are not really enforced.

There is also not a helmet law in Iowa or in the city of Ames.

“It’s up to you to be safe,” Brendel said. “[They] shouldn’t force people.”

On group rides with the Cycling Club though, everyone is required to wear a helmet and follow the laws of the road.