Iowa State Singers to perform 1st concert this Sunday

iowa state singers.jpg

iowa state singers.jpg

Devin Wilmott

With a repertoire ranging from early Renaissance to contemporary, the Iowa State Singers will preform its first concert this season at 3 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 20, in the Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall.

The 71-student mixed choral ensemble will present a varied repertoire with 10 pieces, from composers such as Hans Leo Hassler, Rene Clausen, Josef Rheinberger and Stacy Gibbs, among others.

“It is my hope, in a large sense, that we can change lives by taking people away and giving them something between those minutes they are there that somehow alters their life by the beauty or entertainment,” said James Rodde, director of the Iowa State Singers. 

Rodde, director of choral activities at Iowa State, has directed ensemble since 2000. Additionally, he conducts the 130-voice Iowa Statesmen and teaches choral conducting and literature. Rodde led his choirs in performances at several national conventions and music conferences. He and his wife, Kathleen Rodde, have paired up to create a 400-student choral program at Iowa State. 

The choirs are composed of students from many different majors. 

“We are very proud of all our programs,” Rodde said. “I am just very proud of the entire program we have here. [The Iowa State Singers] is a portion of it, and it is my hope people can come and, hopefully, be taken away for a few moments through the music that we present.” 

The ensemble goes on a regional tour every year in addition to its local performances.

The group also has traveled internationally, establishing a unified sense of ensemble and tone production.

One main goal of the choir is to “sing expressively all the time,” Rodde said.

“It is our goal as singers to try and go to a profound place in music and, if we can, give the audience a picture of some sort of profound, beautiful place they can visit with us that leaves them feeling better,” Rodde said. 

Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for students and can be purchased at the door.