Cardinal Court 2013

By Saige Heyer, [email protected]
Megan Weems Head Shot

Saige Heyer

The Cardinal Court, Iowa State’s Homecoming royalty, is a scholarship program in which 10 students are awarded for their work in academics and community service. The top two candidates are named king and queen.

Diane Fru

Diane Fru, of Hanover Park, Ill., is the daughter of Martin and Jeanne Awah. She is majoring in psychology and minoring in biology, and will graduate in May 2014.

“After graduation, I plan on taking a gap year to possibly teach English in Taiwan as a Fulbright Scholar and pursue medical school on my return. My ultimate goal is to become a physician and specialize in pediatric oncology. I would like to someday become a part of Doctors Without Borders to help individuals at a global level and impact other parts of the world,” Fru said.

Fru is currently involved in Cardinal Key Honor Society, Dance Marathon, the Government of the Student Body, Alternative Breaks, Psi Chi, and the Ames chapter of Society for Neuroscience and is a research assistant in the department of genetics, developmental and cell biology. In the past she has been involved with Boston Marathon Philanthropy, First-Year Honors Program, Pre-Medicine Club, Hip-Hop Dance Club (DubH), Women’s Ultimate Frisbee and African Student Association. She has also been a learning community peer mentor in the department of psychology and a student admissions representative for the Office of Admissions. She is a teaching assistant for Psychology 101.

For the past two summers, Fru has interned for the University of Massachusetts Medical School’s Howard Hughes Medical Institute Exceptional Research Opportunities Program.

“My passion includes volunteering and mentoring youths. I enjoy playing sports, especially basketball, which I can play for hours. I am an active individual who is always up for new, adventurous experiences. I enjoy traveling and hope to visit all continents one day. I love learning about new cultures through foods, dances and interacting with different types of individuals. I most of all love attending ISU athletic events and cheering on the Cyclones.”

Briana Haguewood

Briana Haguewood is from West Des Moines and is the daughter of Eugene and Dian Haguewood. She is a double major in journalism and mass communication and international studies, and will graduate in May 2014. She is a member of Gamma Phi Beta and is a Rho Gamma.

“I aspire to work for an international nonprofit organization, hopefully one that fights hunger on a global scale. I’m also considering working in the publishing industry, perhaps someday as a book editor. I’m excited for the future and feel that my experience at Iowa State has prepared me well for it.” Haguewood said.

Clubs and organizations she is involved with include the Iowa State Non-Profit Protege Program, the Blood Drive Committee, Iowa State Best Buddies Program, Iowa State Daily, Habitat for Humanity, Iowa State Traditions, Cardinal Key Senior Honorary, Student Union Board/Varieties Show, Dance Marathon, Uhuru Freedom magazine and Student Alumni Leadership Council/Senior Class Council.

Haguewood studied abroad in Florence, Italy, in spring 2013. She has interned for the World Food Prize Foundation, the Des Moines Arts Festival and Kanakuk Ministries.

“My family and friends are the best part of my life; I owe so much to them. Spending time with them is my favorite hobby. I love running, reading, writing, Pinteresting, coffee drinking, being with best friends and family and traveling,” Haguewood said.

Ben Jacobson

Ben Jacobson is from Johnston, Iowa. His parents are Paul and Lisa Jacobson. He is majoring in industrial and manufacturing systems and Spanish, and will graduate in May 2014.

“[I] will pursue [my] Master of Science in a human-computer interaction and industrial engineering co-major next year at Iowa State University. This will allow [me] to do research in artificial intelligence tutoring in order to facilitate efficiency in education through technology. After graduation, [I] will work with an education startup to create schools with revolutionary education models through technology and project-based learning,” Jacobson said. “[I] also plan to continue working on ChariText, a start-up company that [I] co-founded with fellow Iowa State students. ChariText combines text message advertising with charitable fundraising and plans to ‘Change the World One Text at a Time.’”

Jacobson is involved with CyServe Council, Cardinal Key Honors Society, United Way of Story County, Institute of Industrial Engineers and Entrepreneurship Club. He is the community adviser for Larch and Legacy residence areas.

He studied abroad in Valencia, Spain, in summer 2011. Jacobson has been a process engineering intern at Andersen Windows and Doors in Summer 2012 and PepsiCo (Quaker Oats) in summer 2013. He was a peer mentor in the IMSE department during the from spring 2012 to 2013 and an undergraduate teaching assistant in the IMSE department in spring 2012 and is currently a graduate teaching assistant in the IMSE department.

“[I] love to volunteer in the community, attend Iowa State athletics (Go State!), go on late-night runs and compete in light-hearted intramurals with [my] friends and past residents. [I] also enjoy working on projects with [my] friends in the areas of technology, entrepreneurship and education,” Jacobson said.

Szuyin Leow

Szuyin Leow is the daughter of Choy and Connie Leow and is from Apple Valley, Minn. She is majoring in mechanical engineering and economics and will graduate in May 2014. She is a member of Pi Beta Phi.

After graduation she plans to move to Chicago, work as a consultant for PwC and continue serving as a volunteer and adviser for Pi Beta Phi, Dance Marathon and Iowa State.

Clubs and organizations Leow has been involved with include Dance Marathon, Alternative Breaks, Writing and Media Center, ISU Alumni Association — Young Alumni Council, Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women and Politics, Lectures Program, Cardinal Key, Student Alumni Leadership Council, Veishea, Fall Leadership Conference, ISU Democrats, Ames YMCA, ISU President’s Leadership Class, and she is a George Washington Carver scholar.

Leow has interned for PwC and General Mills and is a teaching assistant for Engineering 160.

Her hobbies and interests include exploring the outdoors (especially trips with ISU Outdoor Recreation), backpacking and caving, mountain biking, rock climbing and ziplining, canoeing and camping, whitewater kayaking, canoeing and rafting, youth mentoring, watching cat videos on YouTube and cheering on the Cyclones and showing off her ISU pride.

Clayton Long

Clayton Long, son of Susan and Jerry Long, is majoring in kinesiology pre-health professions. His hometown is Gilbert, Iowa. He is a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon.

“I plan to attend medical school next fall and hope to become a pediatrician,” Long said.

Clubs and organizations Long is involved with include Emerging Greek Leadership Council, Freshman Honors Program, ISU Outdoor Recreation Department, National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Great Relationships In Pairs Mentoring Program, Iowa State St. Jude Up ‘Til Dawn Executive Council, Colleges Against Cancer, Kinesiology, Dance Marathon, Global Health and AIDS Coalition, and Food Drive 365.

Swanson studied abroad in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, in spring 2013 and as part of the China International Scholar Laureate Program in summer 2012. He interned at the Helping Hands Hospital in Kathmandu, Nepal, in summer 2012.

“I love the outdoors and enjoy spending school breaks leading students on backcountry trips through the Outdoor Recreation Program. I also enjoy hunting, playing sports, rock climbing, canoeing/kayaking, mentoring at Gilbert Elementary, watching movies with friends, backpacking, dancing and acting like a kid,” Long said.

Bethany Olson

Bethany Olson, daughter of Rod and Terri Olson, is from Jewell, Iowa. She is majoring in agricultural business and international agriculture and minoring in agronomy.

“Upon graduation in May, I will begin a career with DuPont Pioneer starting in June as a Production Agronomist in their Emerging Leader Program in Hedrick, Iowa. I also look forward to a post-collegiate athletic hobby of marathon training, as well as following my brother’s college baseball career, supporting my other brother’s high school athletic career, and of course, following my beloved Cyclones, especially my cross-country women.”

Clubs and organizations Olson has been involved with include Student Federation for Agriculture, Agricultural Business Club, Intercollegiate Cross Country and Track and Field, Student Athlete Advisory Council, Alpha Zeta Agriculture Honor Fraternity — Wilson Chapter, Lyrica choir, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Career Services, College of Ag Student Ambassadors, ISU Collegiate FFA and National Agri-Marketing Association Team and NAMA.

Olson has studied abroad in Southeast Asia including the countries of Vietnam, Malaysia and Singapore for the International Collegiate Agricultural Leadership Program. She has also studied agricultural production, business and trade in Argentina. She has interned for DuPont Pioneer, Heartland Cooperative and Iowa Agricultural Development Authority. Olson is a teaching assistant in the department of economics.

“I spend my free time with family and friends, reading, thinking, listening to music, swing dancing and traveling.”

Brent Sexton

Rockwell City, Iowa, native Brent Sexton, son of Keith and Barb Sexton, is majoring in animal science and will graduate in May 2014. He is a member of Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity.

“I aspire to be accepted into veterinary school at Iowa State, then become a large animal veterinarian. I hope to work with producers to help them raise healthier, more productive animals,” Swanson said.

Clubs and organizations Sexton has held positions with include Greek Week Central Committee and College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Council. Sexton has studied abroad in Uganda, Poland, Costa Rica and Australia spanning from spring 2011 to summer 2013. Sexton has interned with Harrisvaccines, Porcus Swine Veterinary in Denmark, Collison Embryo Transfer and Veterinary Services, and Iowa State Fair.

“I enjoy working outside on the farm, especially with livestock. I also enjoy hanging out with friends, meeting new people and watching Cyclone football and wrestling.”

Jake Swanson

Originally from Ottumwa, Iowa, Jake Swanson is a senior majoring in global resource systems and a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity. His parents are Don and Pat Swanson.

“After graduation, I plan to attend graduate school for agriculture or public health. I want to study tropical diseases and help farmers abroad,” Swanson said.

Swanson has held various positions with the Freshmen Council, WinterFest, the Student Health Advisory Committee, President’s Leadership Class, GSB, Honors Program and Cardinal Key Honorary. He is the president of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Student Council and founded the first student-powered Bacon Expo in the nation.

Study abroad experiences Swanson has had include completing a research project in Rome with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and working in a rural health center in Kamuli, Uganda.

“I enjoy fishing, playing tennis and a good bowl of cereal,” Swanson said.

Megan Weems

Megan Weems is from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and is the daughter of Matt and Susie Weems. She will graduate in May 2014 with a degree in microbiology. After graduation she plans to “matriculate into the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine Class of 2018.”

Clubs and organizations Weems is currently involved in include Cardinal Key Honor Society, Microbiology Learning Community, The Salt Company, Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society, Bacterial Genetics and Genomics Undergraduate Research Assistant. She has previously belonged to Microbiology Club, Dance Marathon, Pre-Veterinary Club, and SALC, and she was a Mary Greeley Medical Center Volunteer. Weems is a teacher’s aide at Kate Mitchell Elementary School in Ames.

Weems was a ProWorld Ghana Medical Volunteer, and she’s had an Agricultural Entrepreneurship Initiative internship with Harris Vaccines as a laboratory intern.

Weems’ interests include photography, reading medical mysteries, singing, playing in a string quartet, Bible study and playing with Bella, her labrador retriever.

Benjamin Zelle

Benjamin Zelle is the son of Ronald and Mary Beth Zelle and is from Waverly, Iowa. He is majoring in agricultural business and management information systems and will graduate in May 2014. He is a member of Alpha Gamma Rho.

“Upon graduation in May, I plan to work for an agricultural company in an information technology and/or marketing and sales role somewhere in the Midwest or beyond,” Zelle said.

Zelle has held various positions in the following clubs and organizations: Agricultural Business Club, Alpha Zeta Honor Society, Cardinal Key Honor Society, Freshman Council, Golden Key Honor Society, Greek Week Central 2013, Iowa FFA Association, ISU Collegiate FFA, ISU ‘CY’ Mascot Squad, Mortar Board Honor Society, National Agricultural Marketing Association, Omicron Delta Epsilon Economics Honor Society, Senior Class Council, Veishea and Young Alumni Council. As a part of the Iowa FFA Association, Zelle was a State FFA Officer and National Officer Candidate. Internships he’s had include Hertz Farm Management, National FFA Organization, Kuhn North America, Inc., Iowa Cattlemen’s Association and Wartburg College.

Study abroad experience Zelle has includes going to Argentina over spring break 2012 with the economics department and a personal trip in summer 2009.

“I enjoy spending time with my friends and family especially while rooting for the Cyclones during any sports season. I also enjoy all aspects of student life at Iowa State and wish I didn’t have to graduate.” Zelle said.