Live @ Veishea: Clayton Anderson

Frances Myers

Hailing from Bedford, Ind., Clayton Anderson is not the most well-known name in country music. However, he’s doing whatever it takes to climb to the top of the ladder.

Anderson will be performing at Live @ Veishea on Friday, April 19, 2013, among the likes of country acts such as Easton Corbin and Jana Kramer.

According to his biography on Facebook, in the past three years, Anderson has worked to make a name for himself by opening for such performers as Jason Aldean, Eric Church and twice for Kenny Chesney. He also opened up for Jimmy Buffett.

Instead of taking the traditional route of “entering Nashville’s star-making factory,” according to his biography on Facebook, Anderson has taken a more old-fashioned approach by “playing backrooms, side stages and honky-tonks from Michigan to Florida, each time gaining a few more fans and a better foothold on areas that aren’t traditional country strongholds.”

Anderson is all about doing things independently. With no record label, he released his debut feature-length album to iTunes August 2, 2011. The album, “Torn Jeans & Tailgates” featured songs suitable for long summer days driving backroads with the windows rolled down. With songs such as the aptly named, “Summer Sun,” “Beer on a Boat on a Saturday” and “Take it From a Country Boy,” Anderson gives off a down-to-earth vibe that is generally expected from a good ole boy.

According to his biography, “he was the only independent artist in the top 100 and it speaks volumes about how his fans have craved his first album … Produced at the same studio that brought previously unknown, Jerrod Niemann, into the spotlight last year, the album includes songs written by some of Nashville’s biggest songwriters, including last year’s songwriter of the year and No. 1 hit-maker, Dallas Davidson.”

According to his biography on Facebook, Anderson’s musical influences includes an eclectic group of well-known and talented greats such as: John Mellencamp, Garth Brooks, Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Conway Twitty, Elvis, KISS, Barenaked Ladies, Alabama, Johnny Cash, Traveling Wilburys, John Fogerty, Sawyer Brown, Willie Nelson, Toby Keith, The Beach Boys, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty and David Lee Murphy.

Anderson shouldn’t have much of a problem connecting with students when he performs at Iowa State. With his laid-back style and charm, he is sure to win the hearts of many Friday night.

According to an article in the Indiana Daily Student newspaper, Anderson is quoted as saying, “My niche is the Midwestern charm,” said the boy from Bedford. “I’m Clayton Anderson from small-town, Southern Indiana, and I sing country music.”