TABLET Restoration of ‘great artistic treasure’ to be celebrated at reception

Jessi Wilson

Tucked in the courtyard of the Food Sciences Building is a seven-panel mural and fountain, designed by Christian Peterson, which is unknown to many on campus.

“The History of Dairying,” and its restoration, was celebrated Friday, April 19, at a reception in the Food Sciences courtyard.

Lynette Pohlman, director of University Museums, referred to Peterson’s artwork as one of Iowa State’s greatest artistic treasures.

“It really is one of the masterpieces,” Pohlman said. “It has national significance; you’re standing in the middle of a national historic landmark, but unless you have a reason for coming to this building, you’re not going to know it’s here.”

Created in 1934, the fountain is the first artwork created by Peterson, Iowa State’s former sculptor-in-residence.

“So it’s very important to the campus. It’s also very important for our building,” said Ruth MacDonald, professor and department chair of food science and human nutrition. “Our department is now food science and human nutrition, but we had our start as the dairy industry department.”

Peterson’s concept for the mural reflects the history of the Food Sciences building, formerly known as the Dairy Industry Building.

“Long before I came here 30 years ago, this department used to make ice cream,” said Larry Johnson, director of the Center of Crops Utilization Research. “They would sell the ice cream to the students and they would go out there and enjoy those murals out on the patio.”

The mural, which MacDonald said is still enjoyed by students, consists of seven panels with a fountain in the middle.

“The north side of the panels are about family production of dairying as most students would have seen them in 1929,” Pohlman described. “On the south side, Peterson wanted to convey what it is that new students were going to learn if they came to study dairy here at Iowa State, and so it’s the commercialization and professionalization of the dairy industry projects.”

The centerpiece of the artwork showcases three jersey cows, which Pohlman explained is the most common breed used for dairy production, and an overseeing bull.

“I’ve been here 30 years and I pass by that artwork out there every day,” Johnson said. “I have always admired it; I believe that is one of the best kept secrets on this campus.”

Recent improvements to the fountain have included a new plumbing system; the pool is now a recirculating and filtered water source.

“The filtration system will take out the debris that falls into it,” Pohlman said about the fountain’s $65,000 maintenance. “It will filter the water so that the material in the water, like calcification, won’t harm the artwork.”

Besides the restoration of the fountain, MacDonald and Johnson agree there is still work to be done.

“We’re hoping we can raise some funds to restore the beauty of the courtyard,” MacDonald said. “The landscaping has fallen into just maintenance at this point, it’s not particularly nice.”

She explained that potential improvements include redoing some of the courtyard’s structures, tending overgrown trees and adding garden plants to the space.

“I’d like to see tables out there where students can really enjoy that area,” Johnson said. “It’s an area that’s unknown but has great potential.”