Maintenance Shop lineup brings variety to spring semester

Cj Eilers

The Maintenance Shop released its spring lineup Friday, Jan. 11, featuring a diverse range of artists from a wide spectrum of genres.

First, the M-Shop will host The Second Annual Winter Classic  at 8 p.m. Jan. 19, with local folk rockers Mumford’s as the headliners. Included on the bill are Surgery, Peace Love & Stuff, and Rebel Creek. The show is open to all ages and free to the public. The show was started by Mumford’s and the M-Shop last year. Nate Logsdon, frontman of the group, wanted to have an opportunity for his band to headline a show at this venue with other local artists.

“There are many things that make this a great show,” Logsdon said. “It’s free and we will be introducing new players to our band. We always like shaking it up, adding new people, and staying fresh.”

Next week, the M-Shop will feature Sixpence None The Richer, known for their hits “Kiss Me” and “There She Goes.” The show begins at 9 p.m. Tickets cost $17 for the public and $12 for students. Prices will increase $2 the day of the show.

Fast forward to Feb. 15, when the M-Shop features The Waymores, consisting of three successful songwriters playing a blend of folk, pop and country under one roof. Unlike the last two mentioned shows, this one is seated for 150 people. Tickets are $10 for public, $8 for students and will begin at 9 p.m.

Fans of pop-punk and blues should leave their schedules open for March. The Dangerous Summer will be performing March 6, and John Primer will perform March 8. Tickets for Dangerous Summer will be $13 for public and $8 for students. Blues veteran John Primer will be having a seated show with public tickets for $12 and $7 for students.

Finally, April ends the M-Shop’s schedule with a performance from classic rock legends Jefferson Starship. Known for their hits “Miracles” and “Jane,” the band will take the stage at 8 p.m. April 10. Tickets for the public will cost $25, $18 for students, with a $2 day-of-show increase. Iowa indie rockers Envy Corps will also be playing at 9 p.m. April 27 at the M-Shop. Public tickets will sell for $10 and student tickets for $8.

Sam Thompson, the co-director for the M-Shop, explains that while the M-Shop has its own wishlist of bands, they work hard to find what the students want. “We really wanted to not let our personal preferences decide who we booked,” said Thompson. “Not only do we have a lot of up-and-coming artists, but we wanted established artists as well.”

For a complete list of all the shows at the M-Shop this semester, go to the Live at the M-Shop page. To purchase tickets, go to http://www.sub.iastate.edu/en/the_maintenance_shop/get_tickets/