GSB discusses university vehicle regulation, compactors for recycling program

Charles O'Brien

At Wednesday, Nov. 28’s Government of the Student Body meeting, President Jared Knight said in his opening statement that there was a new university policy in place that restricted some student groups from renting university vehicles.

Knight said that the university sees the use of these vehicles as not being part of university business and that there would have to be a university employee traveling with a group in order for the group to use the vehicles. Knight also said that GSB was looking into the possibility of purchasing an insurance plan for groups to use when renting university vehicles.

GSB went on to fund three bills, one each for for Team PrISUm, ISU Women’s Lacrosse and for outdoor recycling compactors.

Team PrISUm was funded $12,515.04 for two new motor controllers; the current ones are 15 years old and were considered outdated by group members. Sen. Dan Rediske pointed out that during the past four years, GSB had invested about $47,000 (along with the current funding) into the group.

Following Team PrISUm, GSB approved for the Women’s Lacrosse club a total of $2,779.88 for new goals and safety equipment. The group, which is in its second year, were in need of new goals that were collegiately approved. Women’s lacrosse is hosting nationals this coming spring, and their goals were not up to regulation.

GSB Director of Sustainability Neal Wiebers approached Senate with a bill to fund outdoor recycling compactors. Wiebers and others coordinated a campuswide survey, which showed that 87 percent of students believe Iowa State should have a campuswide recycling program.

The compactors are Big Belly Recycling compactors that have a 160 gallon capacity with Lifetime software, which works as a GPS program that tells when the compactor is about full. Facilities Planning and Management has also obtained a Waste Management dumpster for the compactors.

The compactors cost $2,995 a piece. The software costs $999 for each compactor; wrap for the compactors costs $178 and installation by facilities management will cost $200 for each unit.

GSB will fund two compactors; facilities will fund two compactors, and University Director of Sustainability Merry Rankin has pledged to fund another compactor out of her department’s budget.

Sen. Alex Knee during debate brought up that this was a project that facilities is supposed to fund and is part of the university’s responsibility, not the responsibility of students’ activities fees.

The bill was passed 24-4-2.