Business fraternities open doors for students

Trevor Werner

Business fraternities at Iowa State are a great resource for new students as well as upperclassmen looking to make connections in the business world. There are three business fraternities at Iowa State: Beta Alpha Psi, Alpha Kappa Psi and Delta Sigma Pi.

Beta Alpha Psi is a national honor society in addition to being a scholastic and professional accounting fraternity. It is focused on introducing its members to faculty and professionals in the business community. They bring in a leading accounting business to each of their weekly meetings to give presentations on many different topics including interview tips, resume tips and networking.

“Our whole goal is to bridge the gap between Iowa State students and recruiters,” said Laura Twedt, graduate assistant in accounting and president of Beta Alpha Psi. “We hold receptions after our weekly meetings to let our students have some face-to-face time with recruiters, and a lot of the time these are the same recruiters who come to the career fair. I think it really gives our students a leg up on other students as they are getting to meet them beforehand and form a relationship on a more personal basis before handing them their resume.”

Beta Alpha Psi requires a perspective member to be an accounting, finance or management information system majors. Perspective members must also have completed at least 30 semester hours and have a cumulative GPA of no less than a 3.0.

Alpha Kappa Psi is a professional business fraternity which focuses mainly on professional development. They are open to all majors and grade levels.

“We like to provide value to our members in three different ways,” said Adam Hesseltine, senior in finance and president of Alpha Kappa Psi. “One is professional development, two is social connections, and three is through charitable events and service.”

He went on to describe the difference between this organization and other business clubs who focus on professional development. The main thing he said was the close social circle which develops between members of this organization.

Membership in Alpha Kappa Psi requires a number of community service and fundraising hours. 

Alpha Kappa Psi requires its members to create a signature book, a pledge paddle and a song in addition to hosting a social and completing a national exam.

Delta Sigma Pi has a main focus on professional development and allows its members access to tours of various businesses and speakers from the business world.

Each fraternity has an overarching national presence which controls the bylaws of the fraternities and offers various scholarship opportunities to its members.

The main connection between all of these organizations is they all focus on getting students connected to businesses. 

Membership in these organizations is a way to stand out among the large crowd of business students all vying for the same careers.