Odyssey of the mind world finals from May 23 to 26

Elizabeth Holmgren

Students from around the globe will have a chance to compete in the 2012 Odyssey of the Mind World Finals at Iowa State on May 23 to May 26.

“This is the seventh time World Finals will be held at Iowa State. Teams and volunteers from around the world always enjoy ISU’s beautiful campus and friendly residents. We’re looking forward to another successful and fun-filled event in Ames,” said Jennifer Veale, Odyssey of the Mind spokeswoman.

Millions of students have competed for a chance to participate in the 2012 World Finals. The privilege to compete in the 2012 World Finals has been earned by participants who performed well at the local, regional and state level competitions that were held throughout the year.

Chelsea Czapla, sophomore in civil engineering, has been a part of Odyssey of the Mind since her sophomore year of high school after being invited by her math teacher. Her team has made it to the World Finals the last three years that she has been a member.

“My third year at World [last year], my team placed third in our problem and division. It was a phenomenal feeling to be able to bring the trophy back to our coaches that have helped us so much over the years,” Czapla said.

Czapla believes that Odyssey of the Mind is a beneficial program, and she glady shares her excitement.

“Odyssey of the Mind has changed my life. I know that it isn’t as drastic of a result for most participants, but I can’t imagine my life without those three years of being in Odyssey of the Mind. Coming here for World Finals is one of the main reasons why I am here at Iowa State now,” Czapla said.

Czapla’s team opted not to compete in the World Finals this year. However, Czapla is returning as a chaperone.

Odyssey of the Mind is an international educational program that teaches students to use creative thoughts and ideas to solve problems in a team setting. Odyssey of the Mind attracts participants from kindergarten through college.

Odyssey of the Mind rewards students for their creative-problem solving skills, and it encourages students to “think outside the box.”

“The kids learn problem solving skills, leadership, team building, responsibility, communication skills and so much more. They learn to embrace their creative sides, and the adults even learn to never underestimate the capability of the kids,” Czapla said.

The World Finals are hosted at Iowa State once every three years, bringing thousands of visitors to Ames. This year, more than 15,000 people are predicted to travel to Ames.

Veale expects “about 800 teams of seven, plus coaches and supporters” to attend the World Finals at Iowa State. Veale said attendants will be coming from “approximately 35 states and about 13 countries, such as Russia, Germany, China, Poland, Hong Kong, Mexico, Japan, others.”

“The World Finals provides the participants from all different areas to have a chance to come together, meet and compete,” said Julie Kieffer, of ISU conference and event management. “It’s a crazy, fun group of kids. We love having them here.”

Six problem synopses are incorporated into the 2011-12 competitions, including the construction of a vehicle and a musical theater spin among others.

The 2012 World Finals will also include a problem sponsored by NASA, and it will use NASA’s Earth Observatory Photographs.

Aside from the actual competitions, other planned activities include a creativity festival, a float and banner parade and a NASA E-Theater.

This year marks the 33rd Odyssey of the Mind World Finals. The 2011 World Finals were at the University of Maryland.