Facing obstacles: Students find enjoyment in parkour

Photo: Kelsey Kremer/Iowa State Daily

Nick Smith, junior in liberal arts, does a backflip outside of Parks Library on Tuesday, March 20. 

Frances Myers

As spring quickly approaches, many people are out and about walking, running, biking and enjoying the warm weather. However, there is one activity that has captivated the attention of passersby.

This activity is known as parkour. Parkour is defined as “the sport of trying to move along a route, typically in a city, trying to get around or through various obstacles in the quickest and most efficient manner possible, as by jumping, climbing or running.”

Nick Smith, junior in liberal studies, has been doing parkour for two years now. He originally heard about a parkour club that Iowa State had while he was in high school, but the club was no longer existent by the time he became a student. However, some of the members still parkour together and are active in a group they call Team Impulse.

“I was at Beyer Hall one day doing pullups and [Team Impulse members] were all doing backflips and wanted to know if I would like to learn parkour and free running,” Smith said. “They welcomed me to their ‘club’ and taught me even though I had no previous experience.”

Eric Stodola graduated in 2011 from Iowa State with a major in psychology. He was one of the founding members of Team Impulse.

“Officially, we are a conglomeration of people from across Iowa who regularly and intensely practice parkour and/or free running,” Stodola said. “Unofficially, we are a group of friends who practice together, learn together and do our best to help each other out. Whenever we are in the other teammates’ area, we usually try to make contact with them and get out and train. We are not all ISU students, though that is where we were founded.”

All but one of the founding members of Team Impulse have graduated. Patrick Bryan, senior in graphic design, is the sole founding member left. He helps new members learn the art of parkour.

“It wasn’t until my sophomore year in college that I joined the ISU Parkour and FreeRunning Club, which no longer exists due to liability issues,” Bryan said. “At that point, I became more serious about parkour and began training more often with the group. We trained in the Cardinal Gymnastics room in Beyer, but once someone — no idea who — decided we were a liability, they kicked us out and said we couldn’t be a club anymore.

Bryan said it was after the club was disbanded that Team Impulse was created.

“The few of us that were serious about continuing formed Team Impulse, a group not affiliated with ISU,” he said. “We continued training around campus and members, basically anyone that wants to try it out, typically meet up at the outdoor aerobics area next to Beyer. Now, I am the only original member left and will be graduating in May.

“However, the group, now just referred to as ‘Impulse Parkour,’ is continuously taking on new members that continue our legacy and keep parkour alive at ISU.”

The cohesiveness of Team Impulse is what Smith said really makes it click.

“A lot of trust is involved because a lot of the stuff we do we make up on the spot,” Smith said. “Teammates are also the people who spot you when you are doing something new so you don’t get injured. Some days we are serious and want to get stuff done; other days we just have fun and do whatever.

“I really enjoyed my teammates because they knew how to build my confidence and got me to do something that was frightening without me feeling like I was forced to do it.”

Smith said that being active in parkour has broadened his horizons.

“It really broadened my knowledge on how big the world is,” he said. “I’ve only been outside of Iowa a couple times, and since joining parkour, I have met people from different towns, different states, and even occasionally talk to people from different countries about parkour.”

As it involves a lot of running, climbing and jumping off of random obstacles at varying heights, parkour is seen by many to be risky and dangerous. According to the Washington Parkour website, “Most Parkour injuries occur when the traceur is careless or attempting something beyond their capabilities (for example, jumping from too high up). And like any new physical activity, those starting out will have to get accustomed to using new muscle groups and body motions, which can lead to anything from soreness to more serious injury if overly strenuous activity is attempted too soon.”

Bryan said the risk of liability is one of the reasons why the ISU Parkour and FreeRunning Club is no longer existent.

Stodola said it is the risks of parkour that intrigue him.

“I have always felt that life is more about competing with yourself and your circumstances, finding innovative ways to navigate and handle issues,” he said. “Parkour does that for me; there are a million ways to use the same obstacle, a thousand ways to approach the same challenge. Plus, I personally think it is much more fun than dribbling a ball or catching a pass, as well as much more challenging. In parkour, you are often forced to evaluate your abilities and your limitations, as well as confront and control whatever fear you might have about a certain movement or obstacle.

“Conquering another person or another team is simple; besting your fear and your limitations takes actual strength.”

Smith said he practices parkour whenever he has time off from classes and is not busy.

“I [practice parkour] occasionally when I have free time,” he said. “I like to do parkour in areas where people aren’t around because parkour isn’t welcomed very well on campus. People think there are a lot of injuries associated with parkour, but since doing it for two years, my worst college injury is still falling down the stairs my freshman year trying to get to Seasons before they closed.”

Being involved with Team Impulse has allowed his teammates to get to know Smith on a more personal level.

“Nick and I trained together a few times and he is a pretty talented guy,” Stodola said. “Nick always seemed to be one of those guys who just got better with what seemed like no practice, and I’ve been impressed on more than one occasion at the things I’ve seen him do. His aerials have always been pretty good, but I was very surprised when I saw him land a double-side into a mat at a gym. He is pretty ballsy.”

Bryan said that through parkour he quickly became friends with Smith.

“The unique thing about parkour is you’re basically automatically friends with anyone else that does parkour,” he said. “So it is a great way to connect with others and create opportunities. Nick started training with us a year or two so after we formed and showed a great deal of interest in training. Many people try it and quit after one or two practices.

“So we have practiced together and it is always great to see the different styles or approaches that every new member brings because Nick was very experimental with his movement. So I was able to learn some unique movements from him while I was helping him with technique and basic skills.”