Greek Week kicks off

Photo: Nicole Wiegand/Iowa State Daily

Jacob Ertz, junior in marketing, and Lucas Ledger, senior in mechanical engineering, lead the Alpha Delta Pi, Sigma Pi and Sigma Alpha Epsilon pairing in their role call dance set to the song “Sexy and I Know It” by LMFAO during the Greek Week kickoff event on Sunday, March 25, on Central Campus. The event marked the beginning of a week full of competitions and philanthropy for those involved in the greek community. 

Trevor Werner

“I love the kickoff to Greek Week,” said Taylor Gaffney, senior in apparel merchandising, design and production. “You can feel the excitement in the air, and everyone is laughing and having a good time, while still being competitive.”

Greek Week kicked off on Sunday, March 25, with the Greek Role Call. Every Greek Week pairing of a fraternity and sorority comes up with an original “stomp” that is performed by the pairings in front of the assembled greek students. This is used to introduce each pairing to the rest of the greek community. This event was put on by the Greek Week Spirit Coordinators Steph Jones, senior in kinesiology and health, and Maggie Gehrls, sophomore in interior design.

This event was sponsored by the Iowa Pork Producers and Monster, who together provided food and drinks for everyone who attended the event.

Along with the Role Call, Dance Marathon performed their “Morale Dance,” on the stage to raise awareness for Dance Marathon.

“The reason why we dance is to instill hope in kid’s lives who face more hardships than we ever will,” said Ben Shoaf, freshman in kinesiology and health. The moral dance is taught to every person who participates in Dance Marathon.

Since this was the first major event of Greek Week, every chapter was expected to attend. Every person who attended received four Greek Week points towards their pairing’s total.

“This is a good way to kick of Greek Week,” said Moira Sullivan, senior in management. “It’s also a great way to come out and celebrate being in a fraternity or sorority with your friends.”