What’s in store for the next semester of ISU Theatre?

Theater

Theater

Alex Smith

As the days went on, this semester was one full of interesting shows; next semester will not disappoint. Theater-lovers have something to look forward to.

Beginning on Feb. 9 through the 12, students will perform “Chekov Short Stories,” an adaptation by director Matt Foss. Anton Chekhov was a short story writer who wrote about daily life and asked questions. This play puts together many of the stories Chekhov wrote to show human emotions. The show is in the Memorial Union Maintenance Shop at 7:30 p.m. on the 9 through the 11 and at 2 p.m. on the 12. Tickets for this show are $8 for students, $16 for adults, and $14 for seniors.

Director Jane Cox is putting on “To Kill A Mockingbird,” based on the novel by Harper Lee, on Feb. 24 through the 26 and March 2 through 4. In the show, Atticus Finch is a 1930s Alabama lawyer defending a black man, wrongly accused of a crime against a white woman. Taking place in such a small town, his kids, Jem and Scout, cannot help but get caught in the mess.

Cox said she decided to select the play for next semester because it will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of the book’s release.

“It was something I wanted to do for a long time,” Cox said. “It’s a book that is loved by many people. Many years ago, I saw the movie and there were so many aspects I really bought into, [such as] trying to do the right thing even if you know you’re going to be defeated. You still have to follow your conscious. There’s so many examples of that in the story itself and in the characters. All the characters, with the exception of one or two, are good at heart. … Even 50 years after [the book] was written, it has a great message and an important message and iconic characters.”

It can be seen in Fisher Theater at 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 24 and 25 and March 2 and 3 or at 2 p.m. on Feb. 26 and March 4. Tickets for students are $8, for adults $16, and for seniors $14.

The musical “Rent,” directed by Brad Dell, will perform at Fisher Theater from April 13 to 15 and 20 to 22. In this musical, a group of eight friends go through issues with relationships, money, and AIDS/HIV. The story focuses on how they keep themselves comfortable and keep each other together in hard times.

“I love ‘Rent’,” Dell said. “It has been probably one of the most fundamentally important shows of my life, let alone the lives of many other people. It came out when I was 16 years old, and it was a very important time in my life. I have listened to the soundtrack of ‘Rent’ more than any other piece of music in the entire world. I feel like the show is part of my soul, and I’m really nervous to direct it because of that, but also so excited to tell what I think is one of the most beautiful stories of contemporary theater and musical theater.”

Dell also said that although there are no detailed ideas for set and costume designs yet, the production is “not going to be slavish to what the original was, or the movie.”

“To me, the play’s all about friendship and love, and I want it to be this big hug of the audience,” Dell said.

Auditions for “Rent” will be Jan. 24 and 25. The show begins at 7:30 p.m. on April 13, 14, 20, and 21 and at 2 p.m. April 15 and 22. Tickets are $16 for students and $21 for adults.

All tickets for “Rent” and “To Kill A Mockingbird” can be purchased through TicketMaster or at the Stephens Auditorium box office. Tickets for “Chekhov Short Stories” can be purchased through the Maintenance Shop Ticket Office.