WinterFest brings students together before holidays

Ben Theobald

WinterFest will kick off Friday morning with a number of events and activities. Some of the events and activities will include an arts and crafts sale, a carriage ride and a tour of the Campanile.

About 2,000 to 3,000 students are expected to attend this year’s WinterFest. About 2,500 students came to last year’s WinterFest.

George Micalone, Memorial Union coordinator, believes the event will be an opportunity for students to experience the campus a little bit one last time before the end of the semester.

“The students and the community can come together and enjoy the different types of activities,” Micalone said.

The WinterFest event will be different this year from previous years.

“We made an attentional effort to recruit Student Union Board and ISU AfterDark to help plan the show and Bingo that later evening,” Micalone said. “We have two primary new additions. This year we felt that we had a void in later evening entertainment.”

Micalone said students should take advantage of the opportunity, and if they so desire can volunteer by identifying those who are running the activities and see if they can be more involved by assisting them.

B.J. Brugman, senior in agriculture business and president of WinterFest, is excited for many of the events such as the hypnotist show.

“We haven’t had a stage performance at WinterFest before,” Brugman said.

Brugman thinks the event is important because it gets students together one last time before the holiday season.

“It puts everbody in a good mood for the last couple weeks of the semester,” Brugman said.