New ICU saves pets’ lives

Amber Hovey

Walking into the intensive care unit at the Small Animal Hospital at the College of Veterinary Medicine, one can be overwhelmed with a sense of quietness and almost nervousness.

Steel holding pens line the right side as you walk in, some occupied, the majority empty. The brightness of light shines on every corner, reflecting off the shiny metal and floors.

Computers take up much of the center, one of which monitors the respiration of a patient.

The new ICU, which opened last July, is open 24/7 and provides a much larger space, as well as new equipment.

“Many animals survive today because of the treatment they receive in the ICU,” said Dr. Robert King, senior clinician and interim director of Lloyd Veterinary Medical Center.

Thirty years ago, ICUs were uncommon and would not have looked like what the Small Animal Hospital has now, King said.

To the left is a door that leads into a smaller room lined with more metal holding pens, and an isolation room for animals with contagious diseases.

Two fourth-year veterinary medicine students in scrubs are working with a small dog, while others work at computers or walk about checking on the patients.

Sarah Peton, a fourth-year veterinary medicine student, described her experience at the ICU as “something you definitely need under your belt.”

At the ICU, doctors and technicians work with students not only to try and help injured or sick animals but also to teach students techniques needed in their future careers.

Both Peton and King credit much of the success of the ICU to the “highly skilled” doctors and technicians who help out at the center every day.

For Peton, her future plan is move to South Dakota and hopefully work with nutrition and genetics, perhaps even help with U.S. Department of Agriculture research.

As for the ICU, Kari Boyer, a technician at the center, said the ICU is an important part of the Small Animal Hospital because it allows owners to have choices in their animals’ health.

“Animals have grown more into families, they are not just pets,” Boyer said.