Local spots to visit on rainy days

Mikinna Kerns/Iowa State Daily

An exhibit though the ISU MFA Program features photographs and paintings done by Integrated Visual Arts Graduate students Anna Sgner and Rachel Deutmeyer in the Octagon Gallery Feb 23rd. the Exhibition was named Transcendence Though Observation. 

Amber Mohmand

With the gloomy weather predicted for this week, many people are at a loss of ideas. Here are some places to visit during and indoor activities to consider doing by yourself or with a friend.

Octagon Art Center

The Ames community is full of talented artists with their work scattered around the city, and the Octagon Art Center is the epicenter of their work.

You can visit the gift shop, browse through the gallery, or check out the classes they offer on their website, ranging from making your own mug to a pastel workshop. The Octagon Art Center also has an art festival in September, which will showcase artwork across the map, and they have live music and you can support your favorite artist.

The Octagon Art Center has free admission to its gallery and is open Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 10 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., Thursday 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Reiman Gardens 

Iowa State students get free admission to Reiman Gardens, where they can also visit the Butterfly Wing, which is home to 800 butterflies, or the Hughes Conservatory to observe the tropical and colorful collection of plants while staying out of the rain.

Reiman Gardens also offers various events throughout the year, such the Pollinator and Rose fest. Specific events can be found on their website. Reiman Gardens also has various artwork scattered throughout their gardens and is home to the world’s largest gnome.

Reiman Gardens’ summer hours (May 1 – Sept 30) are 9 a.m. – 6 p.m., with the exception of the Butterfly Wing which is from 9 a.m – 4:30 p.m., and its year-round hours are from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Ames Historical Society

For students that are new to Ames, the Ames Historical Society offers a resource for learning about local history. They can browse its exhibits, chat with the friendly staff and read about the influential people in Ames.

Its current exhibit features photos that were collected by Farwell Brown, the founder of the Ames Historical Society. The Ames Historical Society is also partnered with the Ames Public Library to host their full photo collection.

The historical society is open Tuesday through Saturdays from 10 a.m – 4 p.m. and they offer free admission.