Poverty Awareness Week gains student organizations recognition

Frances Myers

This week students will get the opportunity to learn about and help fight an issue that affects people locally, statewide, nationally and globally during Poverty Awareness Week.

ISU student organizations have teamed up under the leadership of Engineers Without Borders to plan a week filled with events centering around poverty.

“Engineers Without Borders is spearheading a collaboration between student clubs and is working to help raise awareness about poverty and poverty-stricken areas,” said Jessica Bruning, senior in political science and programming chair of EWB.

This will be the second year the group has held this event.

“In the past, they’ve held different outreach events that were cohesive with their activities,” Bruning said. “Last year was the first year, I believe, that they have organized it into a whole week full of events centering around poverty.”

Each day of the week will be hosted by a specific student organization holding a poverty oriented activity or event. Engineers Without Borders will be holding the kickoff event Monday filling in students and faculty on the week’s agenda.

A lecture entitled “Scott Lacy: Making Poverty History” will be held Tuesday in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union. A food drive will held Wednesday by the student club, Students Helping Our Peers.

A benefit concert will be sponsored Tuesday by the Student International Medical Aid Club and EWB. It will be at Zeke’s Live Music, Performing Arts and Community Center, featuring the band Shades with tickets costing $3 each.

Friday will be the Alpha Phi Omega Multicultural Night from 5 – 8 p.m. at the Collegiate United Methodist Church.

The International Student Council will be actively participating Saturday as they host a six-hour famine event. ISUganda will also have an Invisible Children showing this day, and UNICEF will be having a video game tournament.

“It’s a good recruiting tool for these organizations,” Bruning said. “A lot of people don’t even know these groups exist, let alone know what they’ve been working on. This week gives these groups a chance to get their activities and information out in the open as well as a chance of broadening horizons for new member recruitment.”